A New Visitor

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tocarmar

Reaction score
I found this yesterday nesting in my dwarf iris.

babies024.jpg

babies023.jpg

I hate these things, but they're beneficial to our gardens so I leave them be. Pretty but frightening! :sob:
:rollhappy:

Black and Yellow Argiope -- Argiope aurantia

I beleive it is a garden spider. They are not poisonous to us!!! When I took the picture I was about 4 inches away from it. I have also seen one with an orange/red color on the body but that was a few years ago.

this kind of spider isn't in the least bit aggressive... it's a beautiful and perfectly harmless animal.

They are beautiful, and they are beneficial! It's just that I'm arachnophobic so I keep my distance. I've had many of these in my garden over the years, and I always allow them to stay.

this kind of spider isn't in the least bit aggressive... it's a beautiful and perfectly harmless animal.

...from a distance thru a telephoto lens maybe I would... :wink:

They are beautiful, and they are beneficial! It's just that I'm arachnophobic so I keep my distance. I've had many of these in my garden over the years, and I always allow them to stay.

Me, too, Mark! I have a bunch of wolf spiders in my greenhouse (among others) I just wish they'd eat the mealie bugs I just found on a couple Paphs, and the Boisduval scale on a Phrag!

This guy looks huge! I'd hate to be the bug that gets caught in it's web!

Me, too, Mark! I have a bunch of wolf spiders in my greenhouse (among others) I just wish they'd eat the mealie bugs I just found on a couple Paphs, and the Boisduval scale on a Phrag!

This guy looks huge! I'd hate to be the bug that gets caught in it's web!

Eeek! Wolf spiders! :sob:

I hope you can get those mealies and scales under control quick! Those can both be so insidiously difficult to eradicate! What do you use?

Beautiful, but it liiks like it signals how deadly it is by the death mask design on its back. Some Manga artist's dream.

As kids we called them banana spiders, they do look intimidating especially to someone with arachnophobia!

Back