A new half box (15 plants) from Lehua Orchids

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silence882

Horse whisperer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I lost my senses for a bit and started to covet some slipperless orchids - Lycastes. So I went full out and ordered a half box from Lehua of 13 Lycastinae and 2 Paphs (to convince the majority of my brain that this was a slipper purchase).

The plants all arrived in great shape with good root systems.

The whole order was $243.50 including 2-day shipping to Maryland from Hawaii. I don't understand how they can turn a profit at these prices.

I got:
Anguloa clowesii
Lycamerlycaste Satin Peach
Lycaste Athanacia
Lycaste Balliae
Lycaste Dainty
Lycaste lasioglosa
Lycaste lasioglosa var. rosea x Gratrixae
Lycaste Leilani's Pink Dust
Lycaste Leilani's Pink Hints
Lycaste Pink Passion
Lycaste Reverend Canon Mari
Lycaste schilleriana fma. rosea
Lycaste suaveolens x campbellii
Paph. callosum var. sublaeve
Paph. helenae

--Stephen

So I lost my senses for a bit and started to covet some slipperless orchids - Lycastes. So I went full out and ordered a half box from Lehua of 13 Lycastinae and 2 Paphs (to convince the majority of my brain that this was a slipper purchase).

--Stephen

Yep, I understand you completely. I gave almost all my orchids away (from almost 700 down to a few dozens, counting even every seedling in compots, in fairness if one counting seedlings in compots, many of the members here probably have similar amount of plants)
Then this year, starting from the summer, I lost my senses too, every week there is a box , sometimes two or three boxes .
I think , I succumbed to the fever again after buying a few innocent orchids from the Dearborn orchid show here in February)

I forgot to mention that since I only got a half box there was a $1.50 per plant handling charge. If you buy over 30 plants that charge goes away. Lehua clearly doesn't want orders of less than 15 plants as they charge a $10 per plant handling charge. I would say the best value of my order was the Paph. helenae for $15 (plus $1.50) delivered. It has one PB growth and 3 good starts.

Is the Paph. callosum var. sublaeve in bud? Aren't they suppose to have 2 to 3 or 4 flowers?

Not in bud, but it has a mature growth and several good sized starts. I got it because I have heard that callosum var. sublaeve puts a lot of growths out at a time and quickly reaches specimen size. I haven't heard of it as having more than 1 (sometimes 2) flowers per spike, but that would be a nice bonus.

Impressive, Stephen! Looks like you have a few about to bloom, also.

Yup, 2 of the Lycastes are spiking and so far the spikes are developing a heck of a lot faster than slipper spikes do.

Latest posts

Back