A new compact novelty

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fibre

Reaction score
Yesterday I registered my very first own hybrid at the RHS. It is called now Paphiopedilum Sandro Botticelli. The parents are Paphiopedilum niveum and Paphiopedilum Van Ness as pollen parent. I did the cross in 2010 and deflasked the seedlings in October 2012. Now the first one is blooming and some more are in bud.

My goals for this cross have been to reduce the plant size of Van Ness and to get white based flowers with heavy pink patterns and overlay.

And here it is, Paphiopedilum Sandro Botticelli 'La Prima Vera':

s2h8pf.jpg

NS is 9 cm, LS about 20 cm

I'm very happy with my first own hybrid and this flower and hardly can't wait for the next buds to open...

Congratulations!! Excellent hybrid! Lovely color and shape!! I'd love to have one of this.

Eric, the color is as true as it could be by a digital photograph. Especially the hairs on the staminode are very dark.
I think the color appears as a deep purple because the pink (anthocyanin - located at the upper cells of the flower) is laying above the green pattern (of chlorophyll - located in cells below the epidermis) and mixed to purple this way. If the flower becomes older it will fade to a more pink and white color I guess.

Back