A New Charlie Hybrid

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happypaphy7

Paphlover
Reaction score
I bought it at a recent show.
The cross is charlesworthii x Hung Sheng Compensa.
I've been wanting to have King Charles lookalike, and I have no luck in blooming charlesworthii.
So, I gladly picked this one up. :)

A relatively large flower on a compact plant for a complex.

FtMbizhl.jpg

Ditto on the dorsal . Kinda like fairreanum crosses... Usually can't go wrong
The dotted lines on the dorsal does look similar to what happens with fairreanum hybrids. Fairreanum unfortunately tends to diminish the glossy texture as well as the thick substance while adding more furls along the edge. Can be very nice, can be not so nice depending on the flower. :)

I bought it at a recent show.
The cross is charlesworthii x Hung Sheng Compensa.
I've been wanting to have King Charles lookalike, and I have no luck in blooming charlesworthii.
So, I gladly picked this one up. :)

A relatively large flower on a compact plant for a complex.

FtMbizhl.jpg
I don’t understand how you could have trouble blooming charlesworthii? Do you let it get cool at night?

The dotted lines on the dorsal does look similar to what happens with fairreanum hybrids. Fairreanum unfortunately tends to diminish the glossy texture as well as the thick substance while adding more furls along the edge. Can be very nice, can be not so nice depending on the flower. :)
i like fuzzy sometimes :)

I don’t understand how you could have trouble blooming charlesworthii? Do you let it get cool at night?

I don’t know. It is possible that I have inbred weaklings.
I bought some expensive ones, two dark forms and one white from OZ.
In the last four years, they are not getting bigger although they are adding more & mor growths.
Indoor is not the best place to grow & bloom most slippers, but this species (only three plants though) has been the worst for me.

I could never rebloom charlesworthii in my grow space either. They would just grow into huge bloomless specimens in record time, sort of like when you keep a Phal above 70F. They need two cycles of chilling ( low 50's) to get them to bloom once they've been grown too warm like that. The first year sets them back on schedule, then in the second, that overgrown plant will explode with flowers.

I could never rebloom charlesworthii in my grow space either. They would just grow into huge bloomless specimens in record time, sort of like when you keep a Phal above 70F. They need two cycles of chilling ( low 50's) to get them to bloom once they've been grown too warm like that. The first year sets them back on schedule, then in the second, that overgrown plant will explode with flowers.

Even you have issues with this species too?
I might have gotten weak seedlings. Two colored forms were bought as small seedlings and one of them is actually a little clump. They are tiny in size, though with about 3-4inch wide. I think this is a lot smaller than what I saw in certain places (where I though the plants were too large and possibly hybrid origin?). These very dark flowered ones were all small in bloom at the OZ greenhouse, so I think these are small growing variety.

Then, my album Charlie grew very well into 5 growths clump in no time. First two years! then, two oldest growths died off without even making a sheath. I'm left with three of those 5, and no new growths breaking out in the last one full year.
It has been the most frustrating thing.
I'm very tempted to buy some from Sam or other sources, but I'd rather spend the money on something else.
I'm about done with this species. haha

Back