A little woodland garden

Discussion in 'Hobbies & Critters' started by Tom-DE, Nov 7, 2019.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

1. Nov 7, 2019 #1

Tom-DE

Tom-DE

Tom-DE

Gardening is a lifetime hobby for me......this late summer, I decided to do a makeover for this little garden(~18'X20')......the moss and driftwood( a cherry tree trunk) are from my property.
    It is not quite done yet(*some of the plants I want to add to it are not available at this time of the year).
    DSCN1450.JPG DSCN1448.JPG DSCN1451.JPG DSCN1443.JPG

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    chris20 likes this.
  2. Nov 7, 2019 #2

abax

abax

abax

Very nice beginning. Looks like a good place for
    Cyps., Trillium...oh, lots of woodland flowering
    plants. A Japanese Painted Fern would look
    rather nice around the log.

3. Nov 7, 2019 #3

Tom-DE

Tom-DE

Tom-DE

I had two different Japanese Painted Ferns in that garden initially but I moved them to another garden...Trilliums are great woodland plants and I have planted a lot of them(also blood roots, wild gingers, Virginia blue bell...)in a different garden(no moss). Some of the woodland plants can be invasive so I will have to keep my eyes on them.

For the new plants In this garden, I have various ferns including the Arborvitae Fern(not a fern at all), Japanese anemone, variegated toad lily, Epimedium, Astilbe, Lantern Rose, coral bells, variegated Solomon's Seal and few other things. The tall plants (at the back side) are deciduous Azaleas/Rhododendrons and the variegated climbing hydrangea. They have been there for almost 15 years. Next Spring, I would like to add a golden Japanese forest grass and maybe a bronze leaf Rodgersia for bold texture. I would love to have some Hostas but the deer would "really" love them too.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  4. Nov 7, 2019 #4

Linus_Cello

Linus_Cello

Linus_Cello

Where’d you get your plants from? I just put the last of my Plant Delights order in the ground.

5. Nov 8, 2019 #5

abax

abax

abax

Common name Trout Lily is a lovely woodland
    plant that minds its manners. Deer ate all my
    Hostas and Daylily buds this past summer...and
    we feed the beautiful devils. Just thought of
    Spring Beauty corms that stay low, bloom in
    very early spring here and makes a really lovely
    blanket of color just when winter is dragging
    along too long.

6. Nov 8, 2019 #6

Tom-DE

Tom-DE

Tom-DE

Most of my normal perennials are from my local garden centers/nurseries. For the woodland plants, I recommend Bluffview nurseries, TN. Their bare-root plants are very reasonable and good...However you might have to wait a little while(2-3 weeks) to get them if they are super busy...

Plant Delights/Tony might have some neat stuffs but you have to pay an arm and a leg for them. (Just my opinion)

Angela, thanks for the suggestion. I think I will get a few trout lily next year, maybe a few Hepatica as well.

7. Nov 8, 2019 #7

Ray

Ray

Ray

Orchid Iconoclast

That's great Tom.

Too bad you didn't catch me before I moved. My back yard in PA had about 2000 square feet of native Trout Lily and a ton of Jacks-in-the-Pulpit.

BrucherT likes this.
  8. Nov 9, 2019 #8

Phred

Phred

Phred

Now is a good time to plant Trout Lily. You can find many deals on the internet now since they are a spring flowering bulb. The same dealers should have Trillium also. You might also consider the fern Polypodium. You can attach it to your wood or rocks. Also try miniature Hosta... the smaller the better. Deer generally don’t bother with them.

9. Nov 11, 2019 #9

Tom-DE

Tom-DE

Tom-DE

Thank you for all the suggestions. Truth of the matter is none of those woodland plants we've discussed/suggested will go in this garden(pictured), but I will consider those plant choices next Spring when I continue to work on the other garden (just across the other side of this garden).