A large cattleya mossiae semi alba and sib.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Both these plants are from the Fischers at OL and probably from the same pod. They have been selling these off and on for a few years now and always describe the grex as very high quality.
The plant on the left has huge blooms. They are probably not quite fully open and are still 7 inches (18cm) across and eight inches (20cm) tall. The right hand plant just has six inch (15cm) blooms. I love them both.
This species must have been the subject of some intensive line breeding to get to this point. The only plant I have with flowers of a comparable size is Bob Betts ‘white lightning’ and even here, most blooms aren’t quite the size of the larger clone.
38EB6FAA-E900-42F7-AD33-626824485863.jpeg66A8D9F0-6141-4015-AA20-7B41FCBA0D25.jpeg1BFE47AE-9C8C-497E-B031-2A676D5DC264.jpeg4B5F776E-80AD-486C-BAEC-6EA2E5EE5FC1.jpeg
David

David, what a great show are these flowers...the ones of the left plant as well as those of the right plant ! They are well proportioned, have a goos shape and stance. Just perfect in my humble eyes.👌

Mine is similar size, maybe from the same parents.But yours, David, better, and what i like especially, the lip: that deep dense purple colouration....exeptional.

Beautiful David, you bring up Bob Betts one of the parents of my favorite white hybrid Jose Marti (Bob Betts x Bow Bells) so so so much mossiae in that hybrid.
Patrick

Both these plants are from the Fischers at OL and probably from the same pod. They have been selling these off and on for a few years now and always describe the grex as very high quality.
The plant on the left has huge blooms. They are probably not quite fully open and are still 7 inches (18cm) across and eight inches (20cm) tall. The right hand plant just has six inch (15cm) blooms. I love them both.
This species must have been the subject of some intensive line breeding to get to this point. The only plant I have with flowers of a comparable size is Bob Betts ‘white lightning’ and even here, most blooms aren’t quite the size of the larger clone.
View attachment 33815View attachment 33816View attachment 33817View attachment 33818
David
You should let Jerry Fischer know how large it is. He’d be pleased.

Incredible! Amazing what line breeding can do! Congrats on the great growing and blooming!

Good luck Terry. Please post when it flowers. I’ve spoken to Jerry about this grex and he tells me that it is about the best available with many of award quality. Plants are much more valuable now as they know their full potential.

Good luck Terry. Please post when it flowers. I’ve spoken to Jerry about this grex and he tells me that it is about the best available with many of award quality. Plants are much more valuable now as they know their full potential.
David, here is mine. It is a 3 growth division that had only mediocre roots that I purchased early this spring, so I had no hand in inducing the flowering, I just didn't destroy it. The natural horizontal spread is 16.6 cm. The labellum is not as wide as yours, but the shape is nice and the dorsal sepal is great. Petals and sepals are crystalline white. I think yours is better.

IMG_2138.jpeg

Latest posts

Back