A hitch-hiker..

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took one just like that to the Milwaukee show by accident. Reached in to show a plant to somebody and ... whoa!! Must have ridden along in the crates. He is now running free in the Mitchell Domes.
Where was I when you found that special treat? Sheesh, all I got from you was plants. I feel really deprived now!

Dot, you can turn her loose in my greenhouse if you want. She'd have a few tree frog friends.
Thanks, Rob. I may take you up on that. Right now, she's hiding somewhere -- I've not seen her for several days. I think I have to make a trip to Preuss Animal House for some mealies...

Update:
Yesterday, I purchased some crickets. The little guy was hiding from me when I started moving my Phrags to insert a dish to put the crickets in last night. As I moved one plant, I saw the frog in it, and so I placed it right beside the dish. As soon as I dropped in 2 crickets, the frog jumped in and ate the two in quick succession. I figured he/she was hungry, so I dropped in two more. After 5 minutes or so of looking uninterested, when the two crickets were on top of each other, the frog nailed both at the same time.

This morning, Mr/Ms TreeFrog was still in the feeding dish, so I dropped in 3 more crickets. They were eaten one-by-one. I guess the frog was satisfied because it is now resting on a Phrag leaf several inches from the feeder.

My husband said I should name it (the frog, not the cricket). Anyone have any suggestions?

Here's the feeding area:
FeedingStation.jpg

And the frog 7 crickets later:
7CricketsLater.jpg

This I found very interesting:
The first time I put crickets in the plan, the frog saw them and jumped in. The second time, I had to coax him in, but once he was in, it didn't take long for him to grab his lunch. But ever since then, when I go down to my "basement greenhouse" in the morning to feed him, he's sitting in the pan, waiting for breakfast. After he's had his fill, he jumps out and spends the rest of the day resting on a leaf.

I keep saying "he" but it may very well be a "she." I suspect it's young because it's still green -- the guy at the cricket store said they are gray when mature. No singing at all, but it may be the wrong season -- though to the frog, it must feel like summer because of the warmth and light duration.

Nope, I don't think you can tell the difference between male and female. Size is supposedly more an indicator of age since they keep growing until they max out for their species. Take a ruler and measure the little guy. If he is anywhere between 3/4 - 1" he is probably only a year old. 1.5 to 2" and you probably have a mature adult of about 2 years of age or older. Although younger ones are generally green, color alone might not be a good indicator of age because there's a considerable amount of variability in the species. Also too, many revert to a green phase during breeding season, when humidity is high for some reason unknown to me, and also when they are in and amongst green foliage. You've probably got two out of the last three mentioned.

I think it's neat that he is sitting there waiting for you to feed him. This frog certainly lucked out when he ended up stowing away on one of your plants.

Hmmm, if it wasn't for the fertilizer in my growing trays I might try to keep some frogs there. Maybe when I do disas...
But you need crickets...:poke:

Actually, he doesn't stay in the bottom of the trays my plants are in. He sits on the media in the pots, or mostly, on the leaves. He prefers wide leaves, it seems. The only time he's in a tray is when he goes to the feeding tray. When he's done eating, he jumps out into the plants.

Update: within the past two days, he's been changing color. Notice that he is now gray. Hence the name, Gray Tree Frog!

He's found a nice warm spot -- on my timer -- where he spends most of the day now.

TreeFrog-Gray.jpg

hehe seems like the froggie might end up being a long term residence. not to mention helps with any possible pests that end up in ur collection =)

Charlie & Nick: no name yet. I'm not sure I want to. I feel responsible to keep it until I can free it next Spring. I just hope it doesn't become so reliant on being fed that it can't fend for itself when it's free.

Latest posts

Back