a guessing game

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron-NY

Reaction score
Okay folks...here is a game for you to play for a few days.

Some of you might have heard ;) the first kovachii hybrid is about to bloom. It is Glen Decker's kovachii X Saint Ouen. I have been following it's progress with pictures of the bud developement and Glen has given me permission to post pictures of it once the flower is open. It is partially opened today so i should have pics for you before the weekend. In the interim let's play guess what the 'brid will look like.
Here is a pic of a kovachii followed by a pic of Saint Ouen...Have fun guessing!

kovachiiLaura.jpg

SaintOuen.jpg

I think it will have a shorter, fatter pouch. Fatter petals, the dorsal will be the same. Flower will be smaller then PK, much bigger then st ouen. The color will be dark. Or marron.

What the first cross glen is going to make with it?

I'm not to familliar with St. Ouen, but I suspect it will increase the number of flowers the hybrids will have. I predict 5 to 7 befroe it calls it quits. First bloom seedling after all...

Kyle

Kyle said:
What the first cross glen is going to make with it?

Kyle
I am not sure but I have looked around the greenhouse to see what was in bloom. There is a wonderful schlimii from the Eric Young Foundation, a nice besseae and a few quality brids. I have a Schroederae (Sedenii 'Penn Valley' AM/AOS ) in bud, that might be nice!!

It'll be a hideously colored thing with ridiculous form all lasting about 25 minutes from first opening to fade. :) I'd mix and match with some other micropetalums too- suprised no one's mentioned fischeri.

-Ernie

Hmm, well, I know one of the two opening had a smaller bud than the other. I think it's going to be on the red/magenta side colorwise. Fatter petals, larger pouch perhaps? I wonder if/how the stripes will come through from St. Ouen. Size wise I am going to guess Jason Fischer size or a bit larger.

Oh, I think flower count will be lower than what Kyle guessed. 3 buds at most.

Ron, that is a photo of the actual St. Ouen used, yes?

I am so excited to see this cross!!!!!

Heather said:
Oh, I think flower count will be lower than what Kyle guessed. 3 buds at most.

I'm not to famillar with St Ouen, but I assume it is a sequnetial that makes 7 or so flowers. Hopefully that gets passed on.

AS for what crosses to make, is the schlimii from EYOF tetraploid? Crossing with fisherii would be great for color and shape, but I think it would shrink the flowers. Sargentianum might intensify the colors like it did for MDC.

Or cross it to MDC and make a supersized Jason Fisher with an unique color.

Kyle

My guess is that the size will be intermediate between the parents as the genetics suggest. Depending on the actual size of the parents, the geometric mean should be a spread of 11-12 cm. The color should be interesting, I would guess something in the range between rose red to fuschia to magenta, with the pouch darker than the petals.

I guess a darker more red toned and smaller Pk. It is really kind of exciting to see this unfolding before our eyes isn't it?
And by the way.....that morphing software is so cool! Have you tried it on other known crosses to see if it works giving recognizable results? why not use it for fun and cross impossible plants like a Pk x mexi!

What fun anticipating! I purchased one of this cross from Glen, but it doesn't look near blooming size yet to me!!

I think kovachii will dominate shape and color, but petals will be lower and a little pointy.

SlipperFan said:
What fun anticipating! I purchased one of this cross from Glen, but it doesn't look near blooming size yet to me!!

I think kovachii will dominate shape and color, but petals will be lower and a little pointy.
Mine isn't blooming sized yet either but these plants are not humongous. They have 4 mature leaves. I have 2 mature leaves and my plant is working on #3

This is like seeing one of those "What if they mated" skits on Conan......Eric

Latest posts

Back