A glimpse of my greenhouse

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trithor

Chico (..... the clown)
Reaction score

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

H Lajo x H Web
First flowering for me of a seedling from a flask purchased a few years ago. It is still opening, so I think it may be bigger than it already is. It currently has a NS of 16cm

Maiden Paradise x Hamana Curet
First flowering of a seedling for me, Not very flat, but massive with great texture, and I kind of like the uniform colour

A group of Maudiae type hybrids, including Maudiae itself, nothing great, but hell they add colour.

A mystacidium sp collected some years ago in the Waterberg area, always pretty, bit like a shower of stars.

One of my 'shade plants', a veiw of a Bulbophylum rothschildianum from below. I use these and others to provide shade for my paphs below. This year it has flowered with 18 spikes, quite impressive even from below.

A Laelia to add some colour along the East wall of the greenhouse. I keep a chunk of my multi species on this bench.

Greenhouse inhabitant, busy hunting nesting material from the hanging baskets.

Paph Honey, just does not seem to stop flowering, as one spike finishes, another has developed. I think it has been in near continuous bloom for three years now.

Odds and Ends greenhouse. I kind of 'banish' all sorts here, as I run out of space. Occationally I am surprised by a bloom or two.

Last edited:
Love the bird. :smitten:

And the Maudiaes, but I like these types of paphs, so no surprises there.

Thanks all for the positive comments on my growing area. My greenhouse is 9m x 6m (x5m high at the roof apex) and I have a separate greenhouse which has 3 heated benches in it for seedlings. Each hot-bench is 2.2m x 1m. My hot-bench greenhouse at the moment is occupied by my 'odds and ends' and is badly in need of some attention.
I am hoping that now that I have got a better grip on fertiliser, that my plants will grow a bit better next Spring (Oh so long away!)

Could you tell us a little more about keeping birds and plants together? By the way I had a Gouldian finch very much like that one during my childhood!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing. Is your GH an attached unit to your home?

I built a cottage for my parents to use when my father was unwell. There was a 9m gap between the house and the cottage. I decided to build the greenhouse between the two. I built a solid back wall, and then a front wall with doors. Then a 30 degree pitch roof, and a timber deck on the front to fit my potting bench. I will take a picture of the outside tomorrow to give you a better idea.

Could you tell us a little more about keeping birds and plants together? By the way I had a Gouldian finch very much like that one during my childhood!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have tried a whole range of birds, most are too destructive. I have found that Gouldians are the best, as they dont do too much damage at all. If you provide them with nesting material, they almost do not touch the plants. They also do not realy come down to the benches, but spend their time flitting from hanging basket to hanging basket. I find the movement and colour fair payment for any nonsense that they may make (almost non at all). If you spend as much time in your greenhouse as I do, they become tame very quickly and spend a lot of time bouncing arround you while they investigate what you are doing. They realy love watering days and frolic through the spay. I have to admit that they have added a great dimension to the whole greenhouse experience. (Much better than the previous tenants, dont ever consider letting your kids tarantulas loose in your growing area! They grow huge and become territorial, and once entrenched are damn difficult to catch and remove)

Oh my! I would much prefer birds to tarantulas! I have thought about geckos, though. Anyone have those in their greenhouse?

My greenhouse front, dont ask why I have so many doors, as I cannot open them without letting the birds out. Besides benches block all but the left door.

I am thinking of moving the front wall of my greenhouse forward to include the swimming pool. The problem is that the roof apex will end up about 9m high. The neighbours may end up complaining. My thinking is that if I install a pool heater for winter, the pool will function to keep the humidity up, as well as moderating the temperatures a bit better than they currently are.

Latest posts

Back