A glimpse of my greenhouse

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After Ruth's question about my under bench shelving, I thought I would post a few pics of my 'seedling greenhouse' there are no seedlings in it as I ran out of space for my cats and other shrapnel. But it does show the 4 heated benches with their polystyrene trays for the seedling pots. With the cats being on the benches I had to turn the benches off because the cats root through into the aggregate around the heating cables and are impossible to remove.

Jean, I used a hole saw slightly smaller than the pot size to pre-drill the holes, then I used a pot which I had cast a steel shaft with fibreglass resin into the pot. I epoxied silica sand to the outside of the pot. this contraption grinds the hole to the exact shape of the pot so that the fit is very snug. The whole process does make it look as if it has been snowing even though it is mid 30 C.
:cool:
Clever idea to get the right hole size for the pot. How do you heat the benches?

There's a floor I recognize ;>) Apparently, the terra cotta tile is easier to
clean than rough broomed concrete.

btw, who wouldn't want that deep red Paph.? It's gorgeous.

Jean, I used a hole saw slightly smaller than the pot size to pre-drill the holes, then I used a pot which I had cast a steel shaft with fibreglass resin into the pot. I epoxied silica sand to the outside of the pot. this contraption grinds the hole to the exact shape of the pot so that the fit is very snug. The whole process does make it look as if it has been snowing even though it is mid 30 C.

Wow, that sounds very professional however!!!! Different sizes?

Anyway, great idea!!!! :clap:

Jean

Haha! Cats. He means Catts. :) If you haven't already, you need to get your wife to help with the plants, otherwise they may overwhelm you. BTW, thank you for stopping me from ever thinking I have too many orchids! :p

Haha! Cats. He means Catts. :) If you haven't already, you need to get your wife to help with the plants, otherwise they may overwhelm you. BTW, thank you for stopping me from ever thinking I have too many orchids! :p
Well, I wasn't sure. I could picture lions and leopards wrecking havoc in there...:rollhappy:

I didn't know one could have too many orchids. :eek:

That was dim of me to not have picked up on that :)
I have a semi-tame African Wildcat up at the farm. He comes to visit when I arrive, lurking at the edge of the firelight, and you have to keep an eye on him when you start the BBQ (braai in South African), or he steals the meat off the fire, (or off the kitchen counter for that matter). He comes to get some milk and meat, but will not let you touch him. He says 'thank you' on his own terms and in his own time. You have to anticipate when he has had enough of a neck scratch, if you get it wrong, a row of deep scratches on your arm and a nasty bite are the sure result.

Gary, if you ever get a chance to take a photo of the African Wildcat, it
would be a real treat for me. I've seen film footage of one or two, but the
film wasn't focused on the AWCs and didn't show very much.

really nice plant!

curious about the hanging plants....do you let the plants on the wall drip on each other?

Justin, yes. I have had little problem with that. In fact the plants at the bottom seem to grow better than those at the top. There is only a drip for half an hour or so after watering. I am busy repotting the hanging plants, so those in view are the ones not growing as well (for some reason I tend to pick the good plants first)

Latest posts

Back