A gift!!!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kevin's right - lots of sun (6+hours/day), wet while in growth (high quality, low salt water only!), and preferably humid conditions. They easily handle up to 38 C (~100 F) in the above conditions. Winters just need a cool down, say around 10 C (50 F) is enough - frost optional. Also, VERY IMPORTANT - no fertilizer of any kind unless you want to say sayonara quickly!

TY for the tips Tom!!! I have it sitting in RO water. When there is no water I let a day pass and then I refill! So far it seems happy! I am reluctant to let it too much under our summer sun. Almost two hours for now! :D

TY again!

I think it likes it here!!! This is how it bloomed!! The last photo is of yesterday! It started like an alien head and ended up with an inflorescence of 5 flowers attached to each other. How can I pollinate it?

P3260002.jpg

P4090005.jpg

P4180005.jpg

P4190009.jpg

P4200010.jpg

P4200011.jpg

P4210143.jpg

Awesome! Congrats on the bloom!

A couple of my sarracenia species (alata, flava, oreophila, leucophylla, minor, purpurea) are in bud as well.

In regards to pollination, there is a structure between the petals. On the opposite side of the structure, there's a small lump. That lump is the stigma. There are 5 of them around the flower. You will also notice the stamen are near by. Determining the flower has been opened a few days, chances are pollen have fallen down at the base of the stigma. It looks like fine powder. Take a paintbrush and gather up some pollen and gently rub against the lump.

Hope this helps.

Hey Kevin, thanks for the info!!

This is one flower???? It has 5 compartments and I thought that it is an inflorescence. If you have any particular info about it please onfor me when possible!!! TYTYTY!! :D

Oh, reading the info you sent me, I can understand that there is one flower with 5 entrances / exits...!

These were given to me as gifts too for my birthday!!!!

sarr1.jpg
sarr2.jpg

P080510_1907.jpg

CouldI put the two sarracenia I have along with this Dionea in the same pot?? Could I sit the pot in water (or there is another method)?? I know it is ok with sarracenia, but what about dionea?? Please help!! :D:D:D TY

Happy belated birthday Thanasis.

Same pot- ok.
Pool of water- ok.
There is no way to drown these.

Thank you Tom!!! So they strengthen up with sun!? Hmmmm.... they get almost 3-4 hours of direct sun from late spring to mid autumn. The one that flowered seems to be ok, so I guess it will be ok for the other two too! The Dionea has the same habit with Sarracenias? Most of the traps die in winter and grow back again in spring?

All of these are perennial, so they do die back in the fall and come again in the spring. The Dionaea can be grown with the Sarracenia. They like full sun, but 3-4 hours should be okay - more would be better, though. Sarracenias will flop over in the wind and heavy rain - even if grwn outside, but they may be able to 'adapt' to if, ground year-round outside. Habitat shots often show floppy pitchers.

Latest posts

Back