A gift!!!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

biothanasis

Hello,

This is a gift from my girlfriend for my birthday!! She also promised that when her budget is better she'll get me an orchid...:D:D:D I got her some plants too from the plant show we had here in town (she had her birthday on 2nd May)!!!!

I guess this is Sarracenia purpurata, but I am not sure!!! As always there is no name on the label...lol

Attachments

• P100509_18.37.JPG
    P100509_18.37.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 29
  • P100509_16.05.JPG
    P100509_16.05.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 31
  • P100509_16.05[01].JPG
    P100509_16.05[01].JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 11
  • P100509_16.05[02].JPG
    P100509_16.05[02].JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 13
  • P100509_16.07.JPG
    P100509_16.07.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 10
Looks very much like Sarracenia purpurata. The leaves of yours has
uneven growth, mine the leaves are more evenly grown. The leaves of these
usually contain water. Your color is different also, I have been told
that it is due to the power of hydrogen.

Hello,

This is a gift from my girlfriend for my birthday!! She also promised that when her budget is better she'll get me an orchid...:D:D:D I got her some plants too from the plant show we had here in town (she had her birthday on 2nd May)!!!!

I guess this is Sarracenia purpurata, but I am not sure!!! As always there is no name on the label...lol

I'm not an expert but I think you have a hybrid. Close to purpurata but not quite.

looked at these photos again. looks like some leaves have an umbrella (extra
hood) over the opening, and some do not. obviously you meant to
exhibit this. mine lack this extra part.

:clap: CPs are such interesting plants!
My sarracenia didn't make it this year.:(

:clap: CPs are such interesting plants!
My sarracenia didn't make it this year.:(

Ops, my Drosera capensis I got earlier this year did not make it too!!!

And sorry for the name, I meant the plant might be S. purpurea (i think there is not such thing as S.purpurata...lol)

I'm pretty sure that it the red veined form of S. purpurea. Very nice, most of those are extremely cold hardy.

Forrest

What a gorgeous plant! S. purpurea is supposed to be the only Sarracenia hardy in my climate, and I have tried it outdoors and it didn't survive. It must have been a less-hardy form. Anyway, great birthday gift!

What a gorgeous plant! S. purpurea is supposed to be the only Sarracenia hardy in my climate, and I have tried it outdoors and it didn't survive. It must have been a less-hardy form. Anyway, great birthday gift!

Here's a short background of S. purpurea. They can be found along the east coast of North America from Maryland to Canada. The flower of S. purpurea ssp purpurea is the state flower of Newfoundland. There are 2 forms of purpurea. They are S. purpurea ssp purpurea and S. purpurea ssp venosa. Differences can seen between plants. purpurea have long slender pitchers with smooth, waxy feel (almost evergreen). venosa pitchers have short and fat pitchers with a fuzzy feel to them. Purpurea can withstand freezing temperatures then venosa; their leaves can last throughout the season where as venosa, the pitchers generally die back. Also, S. purpurea ssp venosa are more commonly readily available to the market then purpurea ssp purpurea.

Parvi, it sounds like you had the venosa variety. They are not typical found in Canada; only S. purpurea ssp purpurea may be found which may explain why yours did not last in the cold temperatures. Sorry :(

I would agree that this is Sarracenia purpurea ssp. venosa. This subspecies is found basically down the east coast of the U.S.A. The subspecies purpurea is found pretty much all across Canada, into the north, and in the northern states.

biothanasis, what is your climate like? This plant may need colder winter temps than you have.

parvi_17, there are some good carnivorous plant sellers in Canada, so that you don't get a plant that won't be hardy in your area.

Hello Kevin!!!

My winter temps are usually around 5oC and lower!!! I guess it is good, isn't it??? But summer temps are above 30oC most of the summer so do I habve to keep it cooler??? And I think I should avoid letting it in full sun (it might get some sun in 12 o'clock in the noon for an hour or so)!!! Please let meknow if it is ok!!! TYIA :D

I'm not sure how much cold they need - maybe some of our Sarracenia growers from warmer areas can comment. It probably would need some freezing. I'm not sure if there is a maximum summer temp., but as long as they are wet, you should be okay. Most, if not all Sarracenias grow best in full sun. I'm pretty sure one hour of sun would not be good enough.

Kevin's right - lots of sun (6+hours/day), wet while in growth (high quality, low salt water only!), and preferably humid conditions. They easily handle up to 38 C (~100 F) in the above conditions. Winters just need a cool down, say around 10 C (50 F) is enough - frost optional. Also, VERY IMPORTANT - no fertilizer of any kind unless you want to say sayonara quickly!

Latest posts

Back