A few schlimiis

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theorchidzone

Reaction score
Here is a schlimii that popped up. I am guessing it is tetraploid. Leaves much bigger also. If it is 4N then it is spontaneous. (OZ has bloomed thousands, so not too surprising)
It came out of a large sib cross so little doubt it is schlimii. Looks like a dead ringer for the one next to it other than size.
It is pictured next to one that is typically sized.

Also, bonus pic of a branched schlimii. Sorry for the poor quality pic.

Thanks a lot for the comparison shot. Yes, that's big! The branched schlimii is just lovely.

I will certainly self it to make more.
I will also self the branched one since it is such a desirable trait.
Haven't decided beyond that. I'll probably remake some of the basic crosses with large or 4N counterparts.
JC

both are lovely.
Do you plan on breeding with the 4N?
David

I am debating on this one. There have been a lot of superb HP's over the years. I also think that with kovachii being such a game changer, I worry a little about remaking smaller hybrids.

I think there is market for folks who want "smaller" plants with larger blooms. Also, hopefully there will be a 4N PK soon that you can cross this (4N HP) with. Or backcross this to bessae "Mega" for a 4N St. Ouen's.

Of course, who doesn't want smaller plant with larger flowers? :)

All are lovely, but I concur that I find the branched one very appealing.
I didn't know phrags have a few flowers open at the same time on the same spike.

I agree on the branched. It has a certain charm.
JC

Of course, who doesn't want smaller plant with larger flowers? :)

All are lovely, but I concur that I find the branched one very appealing.
I didn't know phrags have a few flowers open at the same time on the same spike.

Latest posts

Back