A few of my babies

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheLorax

Awardless studette
Reaction score
It's ok to be honest about my babies but don't you judges out there be too brutally honest now ya hear! I love my babies with all their faults.

This one I call my pirouette orchid. I don't quite know what else to call it looking up to the ceiling as it does. It's going to do something one of these days but what that something is would be beyond me.

img_0007.jpg

img_0008-1.jpg

This one is sort of confused. One of its petals fully unfolded while the other one is sort of hung up. I deliberated helping it out but figured it best to leave it be.

img_0006.jpg

This last one was given to me by goldenrose. It's one of my favorites because of the color. A cat ate the first bloom but this one escaped being eaten so far-

img_0016.jpg

The black background in my photos is a sweater of mine that my husband held up behind the plants while I clicked away. It sure does help taking photos with a dark background. Much better than trying to use a dark curtain and much better getting help as opposed to dangling a black t-shirt behind a plant with one hand while trying to click away with the other. I am going to make a frame for the black velvet material I bought when I have time.

Thanks for the suggestions on how to create a black background. The instructions will help a lot when I go to make a frame.

Do your lovely children have names? I think I can guess most of them:
1.Phrag PineappleUpsideDownCake
3. your avatar - Appletonianum or Hainanense
4. Wardii
5. Kelly Nash!
Good pics!

Phrag PineappleUpsideDownCake
Good one! You should definately keep that as it's clonal name.

Thanks for showing us your plants. I think my favorite is your wardii. I've got one in spike and I'd like it to turn out as nicely as yours.

#1 is a very confused Praying Mantis.

#2 is a mottled leaf paph. I bought it with no tag because I fell in love with the leaves which are distinctly lemony yellow and they aren't chlorotic. I have no idea what it is.

#3 isn't my avatar. There are many subtle differences when you place the two plants side by side which are real hard to see looking at photos. The petals are shorter yet more slender. Darker/richer colors, more pronounced veining, and the petals are devoid of ruffling. Haven't a clue what it is but you usually hit the nail on the head with ID's so it's probably whatever you said it was.

Yes! The photos I took are definitely a step up! I am thrilled.

editing to add- Oops, typing when Candace was typing. Thank you for not bashing my poor babies. You were the one I was afraid of ;) Yes, "PineappleUpsideDownCake" would be a great clonal name for that poor thing.

Great pictures.

I especially like the Kelly Nash, with the beautiful color. I think I need to get one.

The first one reminds me of the first, the top bloom, on my St. Peter. All the others on that spike since that one have been in perfect form.

Thanks for sharing the photos! :) I like the Phrag Kelly Nash and I give the Praying Mantis "points" for nonconformity. :poke:

The reason I like slippers is each flower is unique. While this means there are flowers with less than perfect beauty, they still have their own unique character, unlike the endless parade of clones seen with Phals, Cattleyas, and Oncidiums.

I give the Praying Mantis "points" for nonconformity.

Thank you! Thank you very much! I accept your "points" most graciously with a curtsie and a flounce for non-conformity and look forward to an encore from this particular plant the next time it blooms. It will be hard to top what it has done to date but my spirits are high and I have great dreams for its continued adherence to non-conformity.

Latest posts

Back