a few more stellar objects part three

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rosette Nebula. Took this 3 weeks ago with the 80 mm Orion shorttube Double Achromatic (actually does a good job for its price of 109.00)
I wanted to see how much depth of field I could get and how much cropping I could do with the image still holding its form without too much noise
about 40 % of the image is cropped to do away with coma but there is still significant coma on the right side

22834983424_a8e9ea47bd_c.jpg

This is my new setup for wide field astrophotography. Much more manageable than the 10 inch reflector and doesn't suffer from the wind effects. 80 mm ED Explore Scientific ED Triple Apochromatic with guidance system for long exposures. Hopefully, wont need to stretch the image so much that the stars lose their spark. Tested it in the city and there is extremely little coma. But I am waiting for the skies to clear. As luck would have it, we had 7 days of clear skies during the full moon (wax and wane) but now it's nothing but thick clouds for the next week for at least a ten hour drive in every direction

22836207173_df2d15409e_c.jpg

Wow, you haul that baby out into the woods! Throw that into your backpack :rollhappy:

Awesome results though

I am never more than ten feet away from my car. Actually, I spend 90 percent of the time in my car (once I get everything aligned, which takes about 45 minutes), watching the progress of the shots on my ipad and laptop.

Finally got to use my new system (80 mm 3 element Apochromatic scope with guiding system)

these are a stack of ten 300 seconds (each) 1600 ISO, deep sky stacker and photoshop. Coma is still there around edges (to get rid of it by eithe cropping or using a four element scope) and I am getting a very slight issue with the guiding system (very slight drift) but overall I am pretty happy with it

North American Nebula in Cygnus
23170908693_1ece0c06ce_c.jpg

this is Heart and Soul Nebula in Cassiopea (a one shot 30 minute exposure at 400 ISO but because its much closer to celestial north, no noticeable drift)

23798973425_fb34d76092_c.jpg

First time looking through this thread.
You have a wonderful hobby!

Thanks for some amazing images! :)
This reminds me of one day in my childhood when I was looking into the sky and thinking how far things would be, and then my head started to spin. lol

redid my most recent shots in Pixinsight ( a stacking and processing program specifically designed for astrophotography).
Pleiades redo

24554432385_b7820f768e_c.jpg

Orion Constellation (this was at 25600 ISO, so its a bit grainy and since Orion is so large, I had to contend with a gradation of air quality, but previous stacking program could not get a clear picture)... taken with the Canon 100 macro mm lens

24186653309_4e027abd0b_c.jpg

Heart and Soul redo. You can see more of the Oiii emissions (lighter colored nebula) in this version.

24258860050_c0c462dc39_c.jpg

I just recently bought a CCD mono camera so my images should be even more detailed form here on. Basically a CCD mono camera allows you to use filters to screen out all but the wanted light, and since you are collecting for each wavelength separately, more detail is imaged. CCD cameras also have lower read noise and better quantum efficiency (dont ask me what that is, all i know is that it translates into cleaner and greater detail)

So, Ed, are you going to look for the new planet?

that kind of thing takes a lot of time and access to skies that are clear most of the time (The Northwest is not the place to be). I can look for Exoplanets (large jupiter plus planets that have similar sized suns and close orbits) with a simple dslr and lens setup..looking at the luminance graphs. As the planet transits the star, there is a drop in luminosity. There are tutorials on the internet for this. But unless you know where to look its like looking for a particular grain of sand on a beach. You cant use this technique with the 9th planet because it's so far away from the sun. You would have to take a lot of pictures over time to see movement or get lucky. They have wide field scopes that can sweep large areas of space but you have search algorithms with large databases doing the heavy lifting

Actually, I read that would be the case. But it's fun to speculate.

I think the astronomer's name is Mike Brown. He speculated that someone may already have the data, and that many astronomers are probably now combing through their data trying to find evidence --or actual photos.

Latest posts

Back