A few more photos from the MidAmerica Orchid Congress

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

MoreWater

I totally have cool-weather envy. The pleuros! The colors!

I only took a few photos and some are not great, but anyway, they're here if you're interested. I managed to get out of there with not a single slipper addition :clap: or :( . . . :confused: :confused: :confused:

Thanx for the photos. I need to get a Tolumnia Popoki Mitzi [killed my first one]. Really liked the Pleuros. isn't Lynn O'Shaunnesy in Wisc.?

Lynn O'Shaunnesy is in Michigan, not too far from Lansing.
http://www.pleurothallids.com/lynn's_sales_list.htm

Lynn didn't exhibit at MAOC.

You missed my favorite pleuro, the Pl. marthae (or titan, or one of the big ones, I forget). Had black flowers the size of a half dollar and was about a meter tall. I didn't have my camera...

I went home after the show and repotted all my giant pleuros. Well, giant eventually, if I grow them right.

littlefrog said:
You missed my favorite pleuro, the Pl. marthae (or titan, or one of the big ones, I forget). Had black flowers the size of a half dollar and was about a meter tall.

That sounds more like pleuro gargantula. marthae has more orange/pink/maroon flowers. A very nice plant. Gargantula has large flowers that are dark. Titan is yellow

Kyle

Last edited:
Don't sweat it, they're all nice. Do you have teaguii? Its my favorite one from that type. FYI they are now Acronia's instead of pleuros.

Kyle

Teaguei is what the one I am thinking of was labeled as... Just needed a kick in the memory cells. Don't know if that is supposed to be dark or not. And I collect them because they are acronias. Luer says that they are 'frog orchids', that was enough for me. Named for the way the flower sits on the leaf like a frog on a lily-pad, I guess.

Yes, that is a stupid reason to collect something. You need a better reason than that? :poke:

and here I was wondering if I missed one. I think you missed the photo. :poke:

but you're right that I didn't get a close up. The person at the OS display warned me not to lean over the rope and with a point&shoot, there's a limit..... I couldn't see half the small ones in the display. (Like the white masdie behind teaguii....) Here is a slightly cropped version of the same photo - unfortunately not focused on teaguii.....

OK, maybe those flowers aren't half dollar size. That is what you get when you rely on male size memory. :)

One of the judges on my team was something of an expert in these. Or at least she had seen a lot in situ. As wonderful as I thought this plant was, she said that if it was actually being grown properly the leaves would be almost flat with no undulations at the margins, and bigger, believe it or not. I guess not bad growing for a gringo, but still room for improvement. Then she told me about the habitat, and I went home and repotted all of mine into semihydroponics... *grin*

Latest posts

Back