A few greenies

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paphioboy

hehehe...
Reaction score
Penang, Malaysia..d home of fabulous paphs.
Couple of NoID greenies purchased in bud last week. Possibly from Taiwan although vendor says they came from Thailand.

DSC_0068_zpsea3b662d.jpg

DSC_0055_zps3d1566aa.jpg

DSC_0057_zps689f4448.jpg

And another one seen at a shop. Quite nice proportions but bit pricey...

DSC_0028_zpsb58a2815.jpg

Very nice, all of them. My favorite paphs :)
I think the third one could be Clair de Lune 'Edgard van Belle'. Are the leaves large and wide, and with crisp mottling?
Here's mine just for reference

(when I just got it, in bloom)
4686_zpsef09dbdf.jpg

(reblooming)
IMG_0569_zps08df4998.jpg

The third with the red peppers in the background looks like a straight Maudiae

I think so too.. I wonder if the dorsal will flatten out next blooming. Am tempted to get it.

Based on what I read, straight Paph. Maudiae should have no wart on the petal surface, so probably that plant isn't. Cheers :) ~Hardy

If you look at any current listing of flasks/seedlings from Taiwan, you will see literally hundreds of green crosses at each of the breeders. Add to that that they offer a significant discount to the pot plant trade for flasks of Maudiae types if the labels have been lost or if there is any question of the ID. This means that in reality, although you can guess at the ID, you will never know for sure. This is a group which is so far bred that there are hundreds of hybrids which are so similar as to be almost impossible to tell apart. You could obviously label the plant, and no one would possibly be the wiser:( , the question remains, would you really want to do that though?
I have handled many thousands of these into our local pot plant trade over the last couple of years and can tell you that they are all starting to look the same, with only the extremes being distinct. (sorry, just a carpenters few cents worth:eek:)

Nice one, hardy... the plant of the flower in the last pic does look similar to yours, although the mottling is not as crisp as some pictures on the net. But the flower is really big. About 5 inches across.

Trithor, I agree with your comments. No matter what it is, when I buy a noID hybrid, it will remain a noID. I do not subscribe to the practice of just sticking a name on an unknown for the sake of entering into competitions etc..

If you look at any current listing of flasks/seedlings from Taiwan, you will see literally hundreds of green crosses at each of the breeders. Add to that that they offer a significant discount to the pot plant trade for flasks of Maudiae types if the labels have been lost or if there is any question of the ID. This means that in reality, although you can guess at the ID, you will never know for sure. This is a group which is so far bred that there are hundreds of hybrids which are so similar as to be almost impossible to tell apart. You could obviously label the plant, and no one would possibly be the wiser:( , the question remains, would you really want to do that though?
I have handled many thousands of these into our local pot plant trade over the last couple of years and can tell you that they are all starting to look the same, with only the extremes being distinct. (sorry, just a carpenters few cents worth:eek:)

Nice one, hardy... the plant of the flower in the last pic does look similar to yours, although the mottling is not as crisp as some pictures on the net. But the flower is really big. About 5 inches across.

Trithor, I agree with your comments. No matter what it is, when I buy a noID hybrid, it will remain a noID. I do not subscribe to the practice of just sticking a name on an unknown for the sake of entering into competitions etc..

I mean, the mottling on the leaf of Clair de Lune 'Edgard van Belle' is very distinct, green and cream, and pretty much just that. No in-between colors or gradations as is present in Maudiae 'The Queen' for example.

Also, both Clair de Lune 'Edgard van Belle' and Maudiae 'The Queen' are extra vigorous. Mature growths produce multiple leads easily and older fans often produce new shoots at the same time the front leads are being produced, so they form specimens easily.

Sometimes one can tell if a plant is grown from seedling or from a mature-sized division. If the base of the oldest growth diminishes to a thin seedling stem, especially if the seedling root system or small seedling leaves are still present, then the plant is probably just another unlabeled green maudiae-type grown from seed. But if the plant is a division (can be confirmed by tracing the base of the oldest growth to a big scar), with vigorous growths, distinct bicolor mottling and good tall flower stem, then I'd still hazard a guess that it's 'Edgard van Belle'. I know, I know, bad practice to guess, and it annoys me to see a clearly mislabeled plant myself, the mistake being passed down and everything, but can't help it this time, it was an 'AHA!' moment for me when I saw that third flower.

Latest posts

Back