A favor request to my Slippertalk friends

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My flask arrived yesterday. The plants weren't in too bad a shape. One of the seedlings was brown and dead and there was some browning to leaves on others. I pulled these leaves off and gave a little spray with H2O2. Hoping for the best.

A few of the seedlings were huge -- as large as the Paph niveum I have on my office windowsill which I'm told is a year off from flowering. Looks like Shane does good work.

My flask arrived yesterday. The plants weren't in too bad a shape. One of the seedlings was brown and dead and there was some browning to leaves on others. I pulled these leaves off and gave a little spray with H2O2. Hoping for the best.

A few of the seedlings were huge -- as large as the Paph niveum I have on my office windowsill which I'm told is a year off from flowering. Looks like Shane does good work.
Could you post a photo for us ? I would love to see how they look, thanks

Clipboard011.jpg

The moisture is the H2O2 spray. One pot is a mix of sphagnum and perlite and the other is calcined clay (Safety-Sorb) which is something of a fine grade LECA for semi-hydroponics. I was forced to deflask some seedlings prematurely a while back and decided to put them in the Safety-Sorb and they are growing. The calcined clay is an excellent ion exchange properties so the clay was soaked in some dilute K-lite and should provide some fertilizer. I have been using this very successfully in aquariums and growing Cryptocorynes: .

In compots. All the larger ones had some damage. A few brown leaves, bruises.
View attachment 37286
Any bruises or breaks could be painted over with "Dragon Blood resin" , the wounds will dry with the dragon blood and will not provide any entry point to infection. After using many chemical products, I found "Dragon Blood" to be the most effective . More than once, a few drops of Dragon Blood stop the center rot, and much later , a new leaf would emerge through the dried up Dragon Blood as if nothing had happened previously .

data of the plants (some of you may want these data):

Pod parent (seed parent): paph godefroyae 'DARKSIDE' from Popow
pollinate with godefroyae 'RED/BLACK' 05/25/2019 (fertile pod with germination).

Almost solid dark blood. Very round, flat, medium substance type
natural spread 8cm x 7 cm,
petal L4.5cm x W4.2cm,
dorsal L3.5cm x W4.5cm,
synsepal L3.0cm x W4.0cm,
pouch 2x2x3

IMG_1153.JPG

Pollen parent :
paph godefroyae 'RED/BLACK' from Popow
reverse cross pollinate with godefroyae 'DARKSIDE' ( fail, probably due to flower age) measured when flower was already age somewhat, the true dimensions may be larger when fresh

solid dark blood. Spreading horizontal shape, medium substance type
Natural spread: 9cm x 5.5 cm,
petal L4.8cm x W3.8cm,
dorsal L3.5cmx W4.3cm,
synsepal L3.0cm x W3.4cm,
pouch 2x2x3

RED&BLACK-01.jpg

Last edited:
data of the plants (some of you may want these data):

Pod parent (seed parent): paph godefroyae 'DARKSIDE' from Popow
pollinate with godefroyae 'RED/BLACK' 05/25/2019 (fertile pod with germination).

Almost solid dark blood. Very round, flat, medium substance type
natural spread 8cm x 7 cm,
petal L4.5cm x W4.2cm,
dorsal L3.5cm x W4.5cm,
synsepal L3.0cm x W4.0cm,
pouch 2x2x3

View attachment 37292

Pollen parent :
paph godefroyae 'RED/BLACK' from Popow
reverse cross pollinate with godefroyae 'DARKSIDE' ( fail, probably due to flower age) measured when flower was already age somewhat, the true dimensions may be larger when fresh

solid dark blood. Spreading horizontal shape, medium substance type
Natural spread: 9cm x 5.5 cm,
petal L4.8cm x W3.8cm,
dorsal L3.5cmx W4.3cm,
synsepal L3.0cm x W3.4cm,
pouch 2x2x3

View attachment 37293
I predict gorgeous black round flowers!!! Maybe a few may get the all black pouch. Wouldn’t that be something?

Hi all, the flasks claiming process is effectively close at this point.
No flask left.
One sad note, I just check the collection and find out that unfortunately , the Pollen parent plant had perish (due to my not paying attention to the whole collection during the last year)
So there is a slight pressure for all of us to try to save as many of the children plants from this cross as possible, since the cross could not be replicated one more time.
However, not all hope is extinct , all of you can continue the breeding further using your sibling plants from this cross, or exchange pollens with others in the volunteer list in the future , and recreate the character of the pollen parent ( which had been passed on to your seedlings )

Latest posts

Back