A favor request to my Slippertalk friends

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I move the names of volunteers who did contact Shane to the top
and the volunteer who hasn't contacted just below to help with the flasks counting.

A) Main volunteers who contacted Shane already:

1) Duck Slipper (Dan)--------------------------------------(1 flask)
2) Phred----------------------------------------------------(1 flask)
3) 4) 5) 6) DrLeslieEe, Dave Sorokowsky, Papheteer ----(4 flasks)
7) Tyrone Genade------------------------------------------(1 flask)
8) djthomp28 (Darlene)-----------------------------------(1 flask)
9) SlipperKing (Rick)---------------------------------------(1 flask)
10) orchid527 (Mike)---------------------------------------(1 flask)
11) Happypaphy7------------------------------------------(1 flask)
12) richgarrison--------------------------------------------(1 flask)
13) msummers---------------------------------------------(1 flask)
14) littlefrog (Rob)-----------------------------------------(1 flask)
15) Phragromel (Russ)-------------------------------------(1 flask)
16) Justin---------------------------------------------------(1 flask)

B) Main volunteers who haven't responded yet

17) Michael Bonda---------------------------------(sent follow up pm)
18) Jpaph-----------------( pm failed, asked Phred to contact Jpaph)

C) Alternate volunteer growers list:

19) abax--------------------------------------------(sent follow up pm)

Last edited:
Picked up my flask yesterday at the post office. Excellent size of the flasklings. I am concerned though, 6 days in transit and plants are pretty bruised up. Ive never had good luck with USPS. This time of year, with the holidays makes it really difficult to have a quick delivery.

I received mine today. They are all good size seedlings. Will post photos on Monday or Tuesday when I pot them out. Mike
First photo is of the seedlings in compots. Note the one to the far right with heavy pigment. All were healthy with good roots. As commonly seen with Brachys, the roots were attached to one another, but easy enough to separate if you just pay attention. I then placed them in the bag, which will be gradually opened to allow the seedlings to hardened off. The bag is then placed under lights in the nursery area.

Attachments

• compots.JPG
    compots.JPG
    744.1 KB · Views: 1
  • bagged.JPG
    bagged.JPG
    665.1 KB · Views: 0
  • nursery.JPG
    nursery.JPG
    866.2 KB · Views: 1
First photo is of the seedlings in compots. Note the one to the far right with heavy pigment. All were healthy with good roots. As commonly seen with Brachys, the roots were attached to one another, but easy enough to separate if you just pay attention. I then placed them in the bag, which will be gradually opened to allow the seedlings to hardened off. The bag is then placed under lights in the nursery area.
They look good Mike.

That purple one looks crazy!

My shipment should get here today :)

Now will be the race to get one awarded for Hien!

A) Main volunteers who contacted Shane already:

1) Duck Slipper (Dan)--------------------------------------(1 flask)
2) Phred----------------------------------------------------(1 flask)
3) 4) 5) 6) DrLeslieEe, Dave Sorokowsky, Papheteer ----(4 flasks)
7) Tyrone Genade------------------------------------------(1 flask)
8) djthomp28 (Darlene)-----------------------------------(1 flask)
9) SlipperKing (Rick)---------------------------------------(1 flask)
10) orchid527 (Mike)---------------------------------------(1 flask)
11) Happypaphy7------------------------------------------(1 flask)
12) richgarrison--------------------------------------------(1 flask)
13) msummers---------------------------------------------(1 flask)
14) littlefrog (Rob)-----------------------------------------(1 flask)
15) Phragromel (Russ)-------------------------------------(1 flask)
16) Justin---------------------------------------------------(1 flask)
17) Jpaph---------------------------------------------------(1 flask)

B) Main volunteers who haven't responded yet

18) Michael Bonda---------------------------------(sent follow up pm)

C) Alternate volunteer growers list:

19) abax--------------------------------------------(sent follow up pm)

1) Just talk with Mike today, and Mike confirmed that indeed it is no mistake, it is a purplish leaves, hopefully there are also others purplish plants in other volunteers' flasks . that would be wonderful news.
Still, I think we probably have dark color flowers with the majorities of the seedlings (even the green leaves ones) since the parent are with quite saturated color flowers and with green color on the top surface of the leaves.

2) both Duck Slipper & Happypaphy7 said their flasks are in poor shape from shipping, hopefully the rest of the flasks are in better shape (I did contact Shane to forward Happypaphy7 suggestion, however I afraid most flasks were probably on their ways to you already) , if Shane hadn't send your out yet, please ask him to devise a way to ship them with less damage .

Last edited:
Mine arrived today but they are in poor shape after being tossed around in the container during the transit.
I don't think any are salvageable.
Hien, could you ask Shane to insert some cushioning agent like shredded papers to fill any gap, so the mass of seedlings won't move around in the future shipping?
I have never had this happened to flasks from him since the agar is usually firmly stuck to the flask container surface. This one looks like the whole flask content was taken out of the original container and placed in a square plastic container with too much gap all around it.

Regarding the purple seedling, it appears dark brown on my screen with only the newly emerging top leaf dark green.
At first, I thought I was looking at a rotten seedling. lol

By the way, dark leaves does not necessarily mean dark flowers. I've had some dark flowers (Maudiae type hybrids for example) on plants with light green leaves with not much purple pigments at all, not even on the underside of the leaves.
I expect many of the seedlings with more or less "normal" leaves on this particular batch will have dark flowers like the parents.

hi everyone,

Since Duck Slipper & Happypaphy7 both mentioned of their seedling damages , if anyone hasn't received your flask yet, please contact Shane and check if your flasks hasn't been sent out yet, and if he could still put something in the your flask to prevent seedling all jumble up during shipment.

If anybody is worried, I would be happy to receive your flask and either hold it as is or compot them out and ship in the spring. I will be picking up flasks in person so no risk of transport damage.

Back