A different Red Wing

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This plant arrived three years ago as a small seedling and has grown steadily and is now preparing to flower for the first time. It’s Phrag. Red Wing ( Robert C. Silich x besseae ‘rob’s choice (4n) so a triploid.
23DDBFE0-14E0-44F6-A624-FC94EDD1CBB6.jpeg
As you can see, its growth is a bit strange. In all the three years I’ve grown it, it has only ever had a single growth.
It seems to be finally sending up a bud and there is a new growth just appearing at the base.
Normally phrag seedlings would grow for a year or so and then send up another shoot. You might see six leaves at best on a growth, this one has about twelve.
The leaves are also a bit odd. They are quite thick and rigid and only about a inch wide at best.
I wonder whether this plant is a a chromosome mutant.
23DDBFE0-14E0-44F6-A624-FC94EDD1CBB6.jpeg

David

Last edited:
Interesting. I just got my hands on this exact same plant earlier this year, it’s small so looks like I have a ways to go yet but probably from the same flask. I’m eager to see yours bloom. Great growing, looks like it should have bloomed long ago, well done it looks very strong.

This plant arrived three years ago as a small seedling and has grown steadily and is now preparing to flower for the first time. It’s Phrag. Red Wing ( Robert C. Silich x besseae ‘rob’s choice (4n) so a triploid.
View attachment 22895
As you can see, its growth is a bit strange. In all the three years I’ve grown it, it has only ever had a single growth.
It seems to be finally sending up a bud and there is a new growth just appearing at the base.
Normally phrag seedlings would grow for a year or so and then send up another shoot. You might see six leaves at best on a growth, this one has about twelve.
The leaves are also a bit odd. They are quite thick and rigid and only about a inch wide at best.
I wonder whether this plant is a a chromosome mutant.
View attachment 22895

David
Aneuploid perhaps?

Tom, I’ve very much worried that it is a euploid and that the flower will be deformed. Not long to wait now.
It’s very annoying considering how much the seedling cost.
David

Most of the plants of that cross bloomed very well. I have seen several at Orchids Limited and know that Jerry and Jason really like the cross. We say a cross of a 4N and a 2N is 3N (triploid), but it isn’t pure. It all depends on how the genes shuffle. You can say for sure that your plant has some extra genetic material (it is polyploid) but your plant will have at least slightly different additional genetic material than another plant from the cross. I think the growth rate and pattern attests to the polyploid status but don’t think that says much about what the flower will be. Also, Jerry and Jason always say that the first bloom won’t be as good as the blooms on third blooming so lots of patience is needed. You grow great Phrags so you should get the best out of the cross.

I don't know your plants but my "Red Wing" is particulary NOT vigorous... And I thought several times I lost it! Not yet ready to bloom.

Latest posts

Back