A deflasking question

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex

Reaction score
I'm new to flasks, and have one of wilhelminiae which I am wondering about. The question is, should I deflask yet? The young plants are still quite small, and nowhere near fill the flask...certainly, the plantlets are quite a bit smaller than most newly deflasked seedlings I've seen; the longest leaf on the largest plant might be 4 or 5 cm long by 4 or 5 mm wide. However, the most basal leaf on many of the seedlings is brown (other leaves are healthy), and I've heard this is an indication that nutrients may be running down. The agar layer at the bottom is also rather thin, perhaps only 5-8mm or so.

Does it sound like one to deflask? In general are there signs, aside from lack of space, that it is time to do this?

Thanks very much for any help,

Alex

You seem to understand the principles quite well. Size and rooting would be the first indicator, but the limiting factor is the availability of nutrients, so as soon as leaves start browning, you need to either due flask or reflask.

I agree with the others. But since the plants are still small, I'd lift the whole group out, including the agar, and set the whole thing into either a fine bark mix or chopped-up sphagnum. As the plants grow and the agar diminishes, I'd replace the agar with the potting mix. That way you don't disturb the roots and the plants get the benefit of new nutrients.

If seedlings in flask have very little roots .... better to get it replated into a new flask.

Seedlings needs good roots to survive the deflasking.

Back