A day at Jay's

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlipperKing

Madd Virologist
Reaction score
praestans, first two flowers came out deformed

Paph%20praestans1_zpsfbmhzdlp.jpg

Calurum
Phrag%20Calurum2_zpsvncg4tby.jpg

Laelia tenebrosa; an awarded clone
Laelia%20tenebrosae1_zpsayqjergh.jpg

Another tenebrosa, lighter but better shape
L.%20tenabrosae%20Unname_zpsyn1yjwiy.jpg

AND LAST BUT NOT THE LEAST!

Paph Unique 'Shirley D' AM/AOS I know Neil as did Jay whom was the original owner of this amazing one-of-a-kind clone. Shirley was Neil's wife and all his awarded plants carried her name. I have only seen this plant/flowers once many years ago on the net and that was a very poor picture. This division of Jay's, as far as we know, is the only known division in existence and it hasn't bloomed in many years until now. I photograph it and Jay cut the spike to encourage more growth. The cross, roth by fairrieanum is extremely difficult to make, if it takes most plants look like fairrieanum and if you're lucky enough to grow them on you will probably never see a flower! I did see in the record books many years ago one other clone of Unique was awarded in Japan. I'm under the impression this is a very rare hybrid unless someone can prove me wrong.

Paph%20Unique%20Shirley%20D%20AM3_zpss8piima5.jpg

I also have to include the proud owner, Jay:D

Jay%20and%20Unique1_zpstu80tkgb.jpg

Nice. I love that praestans.

Thanks for the Paph Unique photos ... post more! LOL Very interesting cross, and yeah, that's not something you see very often these days.

Oh forget all that other stuff...that calurum is gorgeous!
Jay ain't bad either. Eric has done his job well and I've
become a total Phrag. Phreak. The photos are well done
and interesting.

Shameless hussy! :p
All nice, but the Paph Unique is something. For some reason I was thinking that Paph Iona was roth x fairrie, instead of bellatulum x fairrie. :eek: Thanks for sharing. and I hope he is able to propagate the Unique.

The shameless hussy thinks you are a relentless enabler
Eric. Paying compliments to a guy with nice plants is not
a bad idea actually. Eric, are you still interested in trading
half my EA for ????Whatcha got? Half will be three mature growths and perhaps a couple of new leads.

I'm interested in anything I don't have, but I particularly
enjoy the pastel Phrags. Think pink! I have enough schlims and seds. BTW, the Mtn. Maid is still all white and
the slight pink on the edge of the pouch is fading. Three
days open and I'm thinking all white!

I'm interested in anything I don't have, but I particularly
enjoy the pastel Phrags. Think pink! I have enough schlims and seds. BTW, the Mtn. Maid is still all white and
the slight pink on the edge of the pouch is fading. Three
days open and I'm thinking all white!
Sounds more like a Phrag Ice Princess or St. Rich than a Mountain Maid. I have a bunch of hybrids that should be light or pastel so I will make a list for you.

Yep, it's Mountain Maid. It's a division of a plant that
Marilyn has had for many years. Her MMs are yellow.
It's first bloom for this division, so the forthcoming blooms
may be yellow. Also the form is right for MM. I'm enjoying the white while it lasts anyway.

*Eric, I have an Ice Princess. Definitely not the same
plant as the MM. Never seen a St. Rich.

Latest posts

Back