a cupla phal species

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've got a bunch of phal species in flower now thought you might like to see

paphrodite.JPG

phal aphrodite from the philippines

paphrodite2.JPG

again

paphrodite3.JPG

and side view

-------------------------------

pbastianii.JPG

phal bastianii, sold as p. deltonii from Jim Rice several years ago. this species gets confused often with phal mariae and was labeled as such in the greenhouse. the tag may have been switched before as it looks more like bastianii from what I can see

--------------------------------

pcornucervialba.JPG

phal cornu-cervi alba, has second flower opening

pcornucervialba2.JPG

and a closeup

-----------------------------------

pstuartiana.JPG

phal stuartiana, first time this plant has had two spikes, flowers larger this time as well

pstuartiana2.JPG

closeup

-------------------------------------

equestrisalba.JPG

last but not least my true phal equestris alba from baldan's orchids. they have a bunch of different equestris varieties and hybrids, sell many of them on ebay

Thank you for these beautiful flowers photo shots. I love cornu cervi :)
Correct form should be flava for yellow form isn’t it ? Alba form would have white flowers ?

nice bastianii, jean. i wasn't sure for a while if this was a mariae or bastianii, but it has lots of flowers and the spike seems to be branching and looks like other bastianii's i've seen on the web.
the cornu cervi was tagged as alba though that doesn't really mean anything, and if anything probably the correct designation would be 'fma flava' and the equestris should be 'fma alba'
one of the parents of the stuartiana was 'chocolate drop' I think and I believe it had an AM/AOS or at least the remnant of the tag a few years ago had that on it. I had the plant in a cooler location and it took forever for the flower buds to open, but the base color is sort of cream which I like. the first open flowers seem to be a bit larger this time as well.

i love the detail on the stuartiana and bastianii ^^ too bad stuartiana itz a big plant. otherwise i'd love to have on in my collection too, hehe

Good growing. My stuartiana is still just a seedling as is my amboninense. They are my only species Phals. I would have had more by now but something gave me Paph. fever.

The other spike on my stuartiana has mostly opened up now, just in time for the orchid show this weekend! Both spikes had eight buds each.
I didn't get paph fever like so many others in the local orchid clubs did, even though local grower jim rice had imported tons of paph species and a few hybrids. I first saw some of those big complex paph hybrids that looked plastic-y, and it just turned me off. I liked the ones like concolor, bellatulum, spicerianum and armeniacum, but the phals just stayed alive more often than the other orchids, so they sort of chose me. It's too bad I wasn't a better grower and had gotten more of Rice's paphs, because many of them had very nice flowers. Wellenstein's (antec) got many of their paphs for hybrids and species flasks from Rice's.

Latest posts

Back