A couple of venustums and a near venustum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice blooms.

The reflexing of the venustum petals is so natural that almost 90% of them reflex after a week or so. There are some that do not and maintain horizontal stature throughout the life of the flower. These are the ones that are selected for onwards breeding, which interestingly enough still produces 90% reflexed offsprings. There must be an evolutionary need for this morphological characteristics, perhaps to attract the pollinators (different edge margins) or to direct water/wind away from the pouch.

The great news is that the petal reflexing is usually lost in the hybrids.

Great photography!

They were taken with a Nikon Coolpix L15 compact digital. It seems to have very good macro and auto exposure capabilities. The only drawback is I can lock focus on a subject and then move off of it to compose the photo better, but the exposure is always based on the center of the frame (which is sometime the background) leading to over or under exposure. This is a problem when I want to take a photo of the whole plant.

All very beautiful!! I'm still waiting on my venustum to bloom. They have been such great growers out of flask, but they just won't bloom.

Latest posts

Back