a couple of species in bloom

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
The exul is one of my old reliables. 3 open blooms, a bud on the way, and a capsule from a spring selfing.

Last years venustum was kind of wompy. This year the flower is not too bad, but the stem is twisted and short. I think this flower is nice and dark for the species, although the petals reflex a bit much

Exul is one of my favorite species, it grows for me but no buds yet.
That is one kinky venustum!

Rick, thanks for that little culture advise. I bought an exul last year that had been in flower. The new growths are looking good but having seen web shots of it growing in Thailand and multiple flowers per plant I thought the light & heat factor must be there.

Rick, thanks for that little culture advise. I bought an exul last year that had been in flower. The new growths are looking good but having seen web shots of it growing in Thailand and multiple flowers per plant I thought the light & heat factor must be there.

It's very much like druryi in the light and heat department, but not as tolerant of low humidity. It stays above 70% RH in this part of the GH

Rick, haven't got a druryi yet, wouldn't mind one though. I hung my exul in with the Vandas. Hopefully thats the right spot.

That sounds good. I only have a couple of vandas, and my exul is underneath them. The druryi is close, but up against the glass so it gets more extremes.

How long have you had it? I've got mine in the brightest and hottest part of the green house.

I got it last spring, it is a multi growth plant BUT I have to remember it had a bit of a set back this summer with a fungus/rot, I lost a couple of growths but it has 4 new starts. In the GH it was in bright light but I have night time lows of 55, right now the humidity is high - averages around 75%. I moved it inside for the winter where night time lows would be 65 but I'm sacrificing some humidity. Which way does one go?

From the look of the stem the much more nicely formed flower was probably a big relief! :) I like the angle of the shot so you can see the inside edge of the pouch w/ all the warts!

(that's in reference to the venustum, I was thinking it but didn't end up typing it aparently LOL)

I got it last spring, it is a multi growth plant BUT I have to remember it had a bit of a set back this summer with a fungus/rot, I lost a couple of growths but it has 4 new starts. In the GH it was in bright light but I have night time lows of 55, right now the humidity is high - averages around 75%. I moved it inside for the winter where night time lows would be 65 but I'm sacrificing some humidity. Which way does one go?

In recent past years I would also let the GH drop into the high to mid 50's. This year I'm trying to not let it drop past the low 60's. My exul also had a rot problem a few years ago (during the summer) that preceded my efforts to increase humidity in the GH. So I'd say favor light and humidity (and airflow) over temps.

Latest posts

Back