A couple of line bred Cattleya/Laelia purpuratas

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrived maybe three years ago from Belavista nurseries via Germany. Very pleased with them.
Now really getting established and into their stride. You can really see the difference in these from older and wilder forms. Whether they’re an ‘improvement’ is up to you.
The sanguinea should have had four more blooms but I was clumsy when moving them when in bud.
The tipo is about 6 inches/15cm and the sanguinea maybe a one cm smaller. The sanguinea has a sheen on the darker parts of the blooms that clearly shines in the sun.
The new growths aren’t yet full sized so maybe there is a bit more to come.
Werkhauseri and carnea to follow in another week.
513F0CE5-BDA3-4BD2-B0EE-DD8BC43D079E.jpegDB715D51-E255-4E96-9160-B96C8BC6E772.jpeg2825C22F-5B14-423A-B75D-C12BE9E9B825.jpeg716A67F0-B299-4EDF-A0CD-B484AE3058AB.jpeg
David

Beautiful, they almost look like close purpurata hybrids do to how full and round the petals are. (Less star shaped).
Patrick

Patrick, indeed! You just have to look at the the awarded plants and parents being used in Brazil to see this development. These two colour forms seem to be amongst the most ‘developed’. You don’t see this flower shape and petal width in some of the others like werkhauseri.

Last edited:
Amazing display, I still can't believe you can bloom them this well on a windowsill, congrats!

I agree! But until you try, you never know how plants will react.
Several sacred cows have been slain in the growing of these plants!
I have no ‘air movement’ and the humidity is whatever it is indoors. In the UK it’s never very low. I never have a ‘buoyant’ atmosphere. The temperature difference between night and day isn’t great.
Yet the plants grow and flower well. Go figure. Nobody knows everything about growing orchids.

Arrived maybe three years ago from Belavista nurseries via Germany. Very pleased with them.
Now really getting established and into their stride. You can really see the difference in these from older and wilder forms. Whether they’re an ‘improvement’ is up to you.
The sanguinea should have had four more blooms but I was clumsy when moving them when in bud.
The tipo is about 6 inches/15cm and the sanguinea maybe a one cm smaller. The sanguinea has a sheen on the darker parts of the blooms that clearly shines in the sun.
The new growths aren’t yet full sized so maybe there is a bit more to come.
Werkhauseri and carnea to follow in another week.
View attachment 34706View attachment 34707View attachment 34708View attachment 34709
David

Absolutely tremendous, look at the size of those blooms. 😵😍Just beautiful. I’m sure the clumsy loss of 4 buds was quite distressing. I have done that kind of thing too mostly hitting a new growth moving the pot around as they stick out in a pot they have really outgrown and I hit them on something. Back a few years ago though was a really dumb one — I accidentally (didn’t have my glasses) and was like what’s that little bug and went to squash it and rubbed off two leads in a second. I could have just cried but what to do. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Congrats on a couple of super nice plants. 😃

Latest posts

Back