A couple of Coelogyne, Grammatophyllum and Renanthera

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardy

Reaction score
Some photos to share :)
Coelogyne pandurata, it has a scent like ylang-ylang
75.jpg

76.jpg

Coelogyne dayana, some plants have flowers intensely fragrant like banana; unfortunately mine does not :eek:
77.jpg

78.jpg

Grammatophyllum scriptum var. citrinum
74.jpg

Renanthera Kalsom, first blooming seedling. It took seven years from flask. Kalsom is a female name in Malay. I think this hybrid must have been made in Singapore or Malaysia.
79.jpg

Last edited:
Paphioboy, that group of grammatophyllum are on a sick bench. They were growing in clay pots with charcoal and treefern chunks, but had rot problems. My dad had to unpot most of them and put them bare on the bench to save these. Our rainy season is just too wet!

We had at least 60 of Ren. Kalsom from flask, last holiday I did a count and only a dozen remained... :eek:

I think treefern is too wet for grammatophyllum. I use large pieces of charcoal and broken brick for scriptum and related hybrids, in large plastic pots. I prefer not to use clay pots as the roots are often damaged when repoting and they really do not like that, from my experience... Damaged roots will not heal and they just die off.

Sorry for that, I've edited the link. :)

I think treefern is too wet for grammatophyllum. I use large pieces of charcoal and broken brick for scriptum and related hybrids, in large plastic pots. I prefer not to use clay pots as the roots are often damaged when repoting and they really do not like that, from my experience... Damaged roots will not heal and they just die off.

Thanks paphioboy for all the info! :) Yes, I think the bulb rot always starts from the base, so I guess it comes from the roots. When they're small they're so easy, but when the pseudobulbs became huge, they rot so easily. My oh my, when those big bulbs rot you can actually see them ferment and and boil within! Plus some fizzy sound :D

Thanks paphioboy for all the info! Yes, I think the bulb rot always starts from the base, so I guess it comes from the roots. When they're small they're so easy, but when the pseudobulbs became huge, they rot so easily. My oh my, when those big bulbs rot you can actually see them ferment and and boil within! Plus some fizzy sound

I agree. The mature bulbs seem to be quite prone to the black rot. The bulbs become gross and ooze black stinky liquid. I have a feeling that mature plants should be grown much drier than seedlings...

Beautiful variety of orchids in bloom together!
Sounds like the perfume tree is very desirable to have nearby, do you?

Oh, then maybe they should be grown like the catasetiinae. Thanks, Paphioboy.

Beautiful variety of orchids in bloom together!
Sounds like the perfume tree is very desirable to have nearby, do you?

Thank you. Do you mean ylang-ylang tree? Actually I don't really like that scent, but there are a couple of plumeria trees in my yard and I love them :p

Eric, I think her name is Yang Yang :rollhappy::rollhappy::rollhappy:

But an orchid scented like a panda!! :drool: :D

Latest posts

Back