A couple of cattleya percivalliana clones

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First up is possibly the very well known clone ‘summit’. After saying last year that this species wasn‘t my favourite due to the less than wonderful scent, I did end up buying a plant from eBay advertised as this clone after losing my other plant to rot.
The flower looks right for this clone, but it’s eBay so who knows? Anyway I didn’t pay much for it, so I’m happy.
5721DCB5-FB64-45C5-A2EF-AD879DB9C209.jpeg
743B90E6-346A-4238-9BFE-D5AAA4944288.jpeg
It came growing in this mesh pot which I’ve kept for another season out of curiosity to see how it fared. The pot sits in a larger container which seem to keep the roots moist for a good length of time. Growth has been good and the plant seems happy. It even put out a second small growth after the first.
Next we have the albescens clone ‘oro blanco’. A good bloom and a plant gradually increasing in size. This form definitely has a ‘plasticine’ scent but you need to get right in there to detect it. I cannot smell anything on summit.
E47C72BB-5751-45A6-8F59-92A25376CBF6.jpeg

Finally a comparison shot.
E320C72D-8390-4053-83EE-2ABE746D6500.jpeg
Flowers are about the same size,
David

I love that deep orange in the lip of ‘oro blanco’! Is the column usually exposed like that, or were there possibly some changes in temperature/humidity this time?

I checked back to the first flowering last year. On a smaller bloom the column was even more exposed. its possible that it’s a common trait unless the flowers are fully sized. The orange lip becomes deeper and stronger coloured as the bloom ages.
just checked the online photos. Most have an exposed column. One or two do not.

Interesting, thanks for doing the research! I love everything else about the flower, but for me an exposed column is a fatal flaw. Just one of those arbitrary personal taste things. Otherwise, a stunning flower and beautifully grown! Congrats!

I checked back to the first flowering last year. On a smaller bloom the column was even more exposed. its possible that it’s a common trait unless the flowers are fully sized. The orange lip becomes deeper and stronger coloured as the bloom ages.
just checked the online photos. Most have an exposed column. One or two do not.

I agree that the white is my favorite but I would prefer the tube to be closed. Both are beautiful though.

Earlier today I watched a video of Jerry Fischer of Orchids Limited taking us on a tour of his December blooming Cattleyas, with lovely percivalianas, quadricolors, trianaeis, and walkerianas. I'll attach it here, it's nice.

I agree that the white is my favorite but I would prefer the tube to be closed. Both are beautiful though.

Earlier today I watched a video of Jerry Fischer of Orchids Limited taking us on a tour of his December blooming Cattleyas, with lovely percivalianas, quadricolors, trianaeis, and walkerianas. I'll attach it here, it's nice.

Beautiful flowers, David! Percivaliana and trianaei are my two favorite species. Video here was interesting. I’ve heard many say that roots don’t adapt to different potting media and you will lose old roots if you change, and that air roots won’t adapt to being potted in any media. That’s not been my experience. Jerry told me a couple of years ago to soak them and they will do fine. He mentions that here. I always soak my entire pot and air roots in a KelpMax solution for about 30 min, then repot. I, then, let the media dry completely (speaking of cattleyas) and water normally after a couple of weeks. After soaking, roots are flexible and less likely to break and with the KelpMax are stimulated to grow and establish well. It works well for me.

Beautiful flowers, David! Percivaliana and trianaei are my two favorite species. Video here was interesting. I’ve heard many say that roots don’t adapt to different potting media and you will lose old roots if you change, and that air roots won’t adapt to being potted in any media. That’s not been my experience. Jerry told me a couple of years ago to soak them and they will do fine. He mentions that here. I always soak my entire pot and air roots in a KelpMax solution for about 30 min, then repot. I, then, let the media dry completely (speaking of cattleyas) and water normally after a couple of weeks. After soaking, roots are flexible and less likely to break and with the KelpMax are stimulated to grow and establish well. It works well for me.
SB, Thanks for describing your process. I too have pretty good luck potting plants with air roots if it becomes necessary. I normally tend to avoid cutting/trimming those roots but sometimes it is necessary. (I would rather trim than break) and frequently the root(s) will branch which is a good thing. I have also had good luck with "Pot in Pot" or "Pot Over" if i see new growth/roots starting and can't or don't want to repot at that moment. the new roots establish and i can repot later or let them grow. This assumes that the media is not totally degraded.
Happy New Year

I love percivalianas! Just excited to share this recent (like today) acquisition from Wakayama orchid nursery. I have yet to name it. All ideas considered!

DC181134-F7C6-41FF-B147-E71AB4345906.jpeg

It’s the little brother of my percivaliana pelorica ‘Leslie’.

9798DFFD-E741-4F72-A69F-EE9579960005.jpeg

All pics courtesy of Wakayama nursery.

Back