A Cooled Wardian Case

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are a bunch of masdies that would love that set-up.

That is what I am hoping for Eric. Also miniatures as I want to maximize how many plants in the amount of space I have.. I slowly want to move plants like the Polyrhiza lindenii, Pschopsis limminghii, Trichocentrum albo-coccinum to the greenhouse once they are a little more established and fill up with botanical species which I love. Also some small growing paphs.. I have seedlings of Paph helenae and wonder how that may fair.

Brett

Simply marvellous! I am really enjoying it , Brett. Kindof thing I could have done. Unfortunately low temeperatures is not A problem where I live so.... Ever considered ligth emitting plasma lamps? Almost no heat in the light, color rendring index of 95 and a punch that outperforms similar MH light? Only problem is the price, some USD 1000 for a 300w unit. I have one and consider buying two more.

Cost is a factor with the other lighting forms and why I went with metal halide. Also I didn't like the look the other lamps gave to plant. The MH looks natural.

I am guessing too that you could always pump warm water through the radiator to heat a case in winter.

Looks good Brett.
Use bubble wrap on the back and sides to insulate the glass (but doesnt look that good).
The fans wont last long in the cabinet with humidity - they rust and short out. I duct the airflow in to a seedling 'hot tent' I have. Bought a 240Volt hydroponic fan (150mm) and suitable flexible ducting. Fan sits outside the 'tent' and air is ducted into the top via a cut out. Fans now lasts more than 6 months!
I bought my chiller second hand on eBay - just watch out for them. You can adjust the thermostat on the chiller to any level and turn off at night via a timer.
In winter I have a waterbath in the 'tent' with an aquairium heater on timer - opposite time to chiller (if the chiller is on)

The radiator seems fine do far. A little rust on the grills, but otherwise none other. I think as its made for dealing with condensation, it may be ok. I have had it in use for 3 years not and all ok. The other fan is just a low voltage plastic aquarium fan. Again made for work in a humid environment. So I guess I will see how they go over time.

I haven't had to heat at all. Lowest temp I have had was 16c overnight, but normally only to 18c and that rises to 20-22c day, so everything's happy with that. As a good many of the plants in the tank are intermediate growers, they don't seem at all adversely affected, and many are growing rapidly.. To my surprise the Polyrhizza lindenii are making new roots and they are only out of flasks a month now.

Your thread is disturbingly inspiring. I have only just finished building my lab, and now this! I find myself thinking about building something similar, .....not good. At some point I need to do some income generating work:(

Looks good Brett.
Use bubble wrap on the back and sides to insulate the glass (but doesnt look that good).
The fans wont last long in the cabinet with humidity - they rust and short out. I duct the airflow in to a seedling 'hot tent' I have. Bought a 240Volt hydroponic fan (150mm) and suitable flexible ducting. Fan sits outside the 'tent' and air is ducted into the top via a cut out. Fans now lasts more than 6 months!
I bought my chiller second hand on eBay - just watch out for them. You can adjust the thermostat on the chiller to any level and turn off at night via a timer.
In winter I have a waterbath in the 'tent' with an aquairium heater on timer - opposite time to chiller (if the chiller is on)

I had forgotten this link for a bit, but when I need to replace my radiator, I think I will get one of these as they are made for the job.. By the way, watch the two videos. Rather good ideas. http://www.growwurks.com/hydro-innovations-ice-box-8.aspx :clap:

Brett

Great work Brett!
Lots of Pleurothallinae added... cool!!! :clap: :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone. There will be more Pleurothallids to come

I just added another fan for more Air Flow. It perplexed me how to add more fans easily, so I got this low voltage fan and modified a plant hanger which could be hung from 3M hook (glued to the glass ceiling with silcone). I then glued the fan for updraft to the hanger.. Easy to move if the location doesn't suit.

Latest posts

Back