A candy :) Paph. canhii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
News flash!
Once they are collected, they are not going to be put back into the wild!

That's my point. Once there gone they are gone and the ones you take from the wild do not seem to be surviving in anyones care. So stop taking them. A better bet would be to take a seed pod and try to get flasks. Then at least the plant is still in the wild with the chance to make another pod in the future.

My understanding is that not only are the plants not thriving in collections, also, although pods are being set, the failure is in getting those seeds to germinate. In nature pollination success is a low (not many pods on wild populations). I would sibling cross as many wild flowers, leave the pods to develop and only remove a small percentage of them for in vitro culture, leaving the majority to hopefully germinate in the wild while the in vitro techniques are perfected. As soon as the in vitro techniques for the species are perfected, then that form of germination should achieve more rapid propagation of the species than natural germination.

say whatever you want, the fact is: you can't stop people do what they want to do. In Vietnam, everything on the public (forest, ocean, public land) is fair game (doesn't matter small, big). There are laws, but if you get catch there's slab on the face (fine). You can (what if) forever if you want. It's a sad place, but it is what it is.

Lol. Why focus on canhii? What about hangianum, emersonii, ciliolare, violascens, vietnamense and the like?

Lol. Why focus on canhii? What about hangianum, emersonii, ciliolare, violascens, vietnamense and the like?
I wouldn't say either is thriving in collection. Yet there are seeds out there.

I wouldn't say either is thriving in collection. Yet there are seeds out there.

Sorry, are you saying that canhii is thriving in collections? If so, that is contrary to my understanding. The other species you have listed certainly are established in collections ( I have hangianum, violascens and vietnamense in flask at the moment, from flask/seed raised parents in my collection):confused:

Canhii is a very difficult species, I think...all plants are collected in trade, no seedlings at all and wild population is smaller and smaller. I remember thaianum, we have great fortune with this because it is easy to propagate arteficialy. I hope the clue to canhii will be found in near future, otherwise this plant will disappear within few years.

Canhii is relatively new, from 2010 iirc, so I don't find it surprising seedling aren't out there.
On the other end in the EU at least, it's nearly impossible to find BS/adult non-collected plants of a few species on the market, among:
- fairrieanum (1857)
- violascens (1911)
- ciliolare (1882)
- hangianum (1999)
- emersonii (1986)
- vietnamense (1999)
- sangii (1987)
- mastersianum
I really doubt people grow those properly in the long term (neither do I...).

But you can buy wardii, lawrenceanum, delenatii etc. by the kilo.

Killing wide life, cutting trees, burn the forest for land... It kills more plants (including orchid) than wide collection plants .... Stop blaming only the local collection please, government's killing more plants than you can think of

I don't think he meant you personally.
In the case of Paph canhii, I think we can generally blame collectors for the low numbers alive in the wild. However, I think it would be tragic if the collected plants are not sold and all die off without a chance of surviving in the hands of paph growers.

Back