A bittersweet roth

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnyr5

Reaction score
Purchased this plant off ebay which arrived in high bud, mostly because I could see that the plant was quite big. Sadly, it arrived full of scratches and pock marks from shipping, which turned into erwinia pretty much overnight. Having lost 75% of its vegetative mass to necessary removal, I don't expect a rebloom till about 2024.
Small flowers, no doubt far from blooming to full potential, but, being a former student judge, I appreciate form. NS 22, PW 1.5, DW 5

And some pics of the poor plant.
roth.jpg20210602_220505.jpg20210602_215717.jpg20210602_215642.jpg.

Poor thing. Hope it pulls through. What’s your go to treatment for erwinia?

Tony, why did you stop the judging program? In which Center? We need more judges ... and you seem to know lots...

I was thinking more like:
"Ah, non credea mirarti.
Si presto estinto, o fiore!
Passasti, al par d'amore
Che un giorno solo...
Che un giorno sol duro
Che un giorno solo...
Sol....duro..."

* sad oboe solo* then I come in
"Io piu non reggo!"

"Passasti, al par d'amore!"

Piu noooooon reggo, a tanto al duolno!

"Che un giorno sol, che un giorno sol duro!"

Etc etc

Last edited:
Well, your Roth will answer to your Belcanto with Händels Ariodante:
"Numi! lasciarmi vivere..."
All fingers crossed for that!

The only song that came to my head was "Bittersweet" from iconic Australian band the Hoodoo Gurus. A great song from a wonderful band who in 2021 celebrate their 40th year with a new album and tour.

Being a music enthusiast, I would not “screw” the singing.

I follow eBay sales on Paphs and Phrags and am guilty of bidding and buying some. May I ask which vendor on eBay?

I have received some that were terrible. Received refunds. Received some that were amazing (like receiving Paphs from OrchidInn that are NBS that spike in a month or two after receiving). Sent a very positive review.

Poor thing. Hope it pulls through. What’s your go to treatment for erwinia?

Tony, why did you stop the judging program? In which Center? We need more judges ... and you seem to know lots...
I deal with Erwinia mostly by never letting it become a problem in the first place. The growspace gets hosed down with Physan frequently, and any leaf that gets a spot is tossed. I also purposefully abuse seedlings a bit so I'm selecting for disease resistance in my own breeding.

As for judging...suffice it to say I am a man of honor, not diplomacy.

Erwinia creeps up on me even with my germophobic tendencies, and to my favourite plants. Such an annoyance.

Yes indeed, diplomacy is critical to all judgings all over the world in my experience. Without it, it’s a mess. I’ve heard top judges at AOS and WOC have heated discussions. Pride and egos have no place here. No one wins when this happens. I stay away from the politics and carry on. That’s how I can survive and enjoy the primary goal of all of this, to enjoy the orchid flowers!

Best of luck with the recovery! There have been some pretty nice roths kicking around eBay this year. Is this one of the Sunlight Orchid crosses with Kuang Hua Village as a parent?

Yep. Kuang Hua Village seems to be an excellent parent. I picked up another of the same grex from Hilo. Hopefully they do better :).

Latest posts

Back