A better use for a garage

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well after a little over a week and no progress (work pressure), I have found a few hours to continue. I have installed a couple of storage cupboards and shelves, moved in a bit of glass ware and equipment, electrics and lights are working, and there is a little soft background music.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
As can be seen, this is the kitchen/prep room. I don't think my stainless table will fit here, so I will move this one into the growing room to use as a worktop. I still need to build the sink unit this week, so I will make an additional unit to replace the stainless table.
And a view from the prep room through to the growing room with the flasking room off to the left.

The growing room has four sets of racks now. I have nearly completed wiring the electrical control board for the lights and temperature control. I don't think this room is an urgency at the moment (as I don't have anything to put into it as of yet. I need to just make the 'dark cupboard' for germination with its narrow range temperature control, this will be done this week along with the sink unit.

And my laminar flow! Second hand, but appears to be in good working condition. I cant wait to try it out.

What remains is to move in the fridge, microwave, seating and white boards.
My reagents and culture media are due to arrive later in the week, then ..... just to wait for the first pods to ripen and I can get started!

Nice set-up!! :clap: Keep us up to date with your progress:)If you ever have flasks for sale please let me know!!

Good work.
You are almost ready to start sowing!

Yup, today I fit the last of the storage cupboard doors, and fit the sink unit. Then all that remains is to get the culture media. I have ordered basic media which I should receive on Tuesday. Then I am ready to start flasking!
Of course then I need seed. I have a few crosses which I am waiting for, but the pods wont mature for a couple of months yet. Perhaps I should start a separate post and ask if anyone has any spare seed/pods?

I have a Tolumnia hybrid pod! :)

Is that an offer? If it is, I would love to accept it, and would gladly pay the postage. I will also try and get a flask back to you if it has a successful take.

Today I received my lab supplies. Three different mediums for mother flask (will try two flasks of each medium to see which gives best germination) I have not ordered my replate mediums yet, as I think I have a while to go before they are needed. I have sent 200 culture tubs for radiation sterilization, and have requested packaging in 12s for simplicity. The tubs are due for collection on Friday (opted for radiation sterilization of the tubs and lids rather than autoclave, I may revisit this option later).
My lab glassware is all here, autoclave is operational, Lam flow is commissioned, and general lab chemicals, agar, activated charcoal etc are all on hand and neatly packed away. Long and short of it is that when the tubs are back from sterilizing, I am ready to get started.

Please anybody with spare pods or seed, please let me know, I am desperate to get started.

Latest posts

Back