A better use for a garage

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Painting is nearly finished. Tomorrow we will fit the cornices, and apply the finishing coat of paint. Basic electrics are done. Tomorrow they deliver my equipment!!!!:clap:
I will be moving things in over the weekend and will post some pictures of the nearly completed lab.

Painting is nearly finished. Tomorrow we will fit the cornices, and apply the finishing coat of paint. Basic electrics are done. Tomorrow they deliver my equipment!!!!:clap:
I will be moving things in over the weekend and will post some pictures of the nearly completed lab.
Trithor,
I need to rebuild my lab in a new location. Would you like to come to Colombia and help me? :evil: I can pay you with seeds :rollhappy:

Talking seriously, I am very impressed with the progress of your project.

Trithor,
I need to rebuild my lab in a new location. Would you like to come to Colombia and help me? :evil: I can pay you with seeds :rollhappy:

Talking seriously, I am very impressed with the progress of your project.
Thank you for the compliment. I am a bit disappointed in the progress, as I have to do work on the lab between 'real' work at the workshop. The net result is that everything seems to run slowly. But it is almost ready. Today I did not get too much done as I had to prepare some cabinets which need to be installed at a client on Monday. The good thing is I have a whole weekend ahead of me to work on the lab.

Columbia..seeds..!!! :eek: "Just say "no"!!" - Nancy Reagan. :p
LOL, .... I was getting ready to say yes, I need a vacation and I always wanted to go to Colombia.

today my equipment arrived while I was at the workshop, so tomorrow I can unpack and sort through it all. I cant wait! It is a bit like Christmas eve.

well at the end of Saturday, not too much has been accomplished! But it is nearly ready to move in. Here is the view of my lab from the lawn. as can be seen, still a bunch of things to be resolved (two tiles at the top of the step, trim the entrance door, varnish door and road-side door, Bring table and chairs to enjoy a G&T at the end of a hard day wearing comfy slippers and watching TV!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

And looking into the lab. The ante-room/prep/kitchen is nearly ready. The cornices are in, electric complete and working, storage cupboards are going in (as it turns out not enough storage space as the last photo will show) I am unhappy with the quality of the paint finishes and so will not move in untill anothert coat of paint has been applied. I guess it is not unexpected as I have not fitted the doors and counter tops. A job for Monday!

The first two frames have arrived for my culture racks. Another 4 frames are due to arrive on Monday along with all the flourescent lights and shelves. To start I will have 6 frames wit 4 shelves each (1500mm x 600mm) that should be OK for a while? I do have space to double that up for future expansion

And a bit of the equipment that I have started to unpack. I think perhaps I have gone a bit over the top with some things

I have the following;
2 x 3litre Erlenmeyer
4 x 2litre
4 x 1litre
2 x 2 litre beakers
4 x 1 litre
6 x 500ml
10 x 2 litre reagent
6 x 1 litre reagent
10 x 500ml reagent
2 x 1 litre volumetric
2 x 500ml
2 x 100ml
Assorted pipettes
Assorted burettes
20 petri dishes soda glass
10 petri dishes pyrex
1 x 2litre sepparating funnel
1x 1litre
1000 test tubes with stoppers
1000 culture tubs tall
1000 culture tubs short
heated magnetic stirer
Digital scale
Autoclave
Microwave
BEER FRIDGE
Distilation unit
Deioniser
4 boxes of scalples
bunch of forceps and smalls
Squirt bottles
2 stainless steel prep tables

If anyone can think of what I have missed, please, ... break it to me gently!

(the fishing rods on the right are obviously not for the lab, I am on my way to Madagascar in two weeks for a spot of diving fishing and drinking 'Two Horse Brand' Lager (and of course a small aerangis or angraecum may sneak its way into my bag, naughty naughty plants!)

Which raises the question, .... is the beer any good in Colombia? When I was in Ecuador three years ago to climb Cotopaxi, Illiniza Norte, and Chimbarazo, I found the beer to be surprisingly good (as was the coffee)

Which raises the question, .... is the beer any good in Colombia? When I was in Ecuador three years ago to climb Cotopaxi, Illiniza Norte, and Chimbarazo, I found the beer to be surprisingly good (as was the coffee)

Good beer, very good coffee and an amazing variety of orchid genera.
Columbia has bad reputation because of the drug wars during the 80´s - 90´s but the country has changed a lot. I am from Europe actually but I found this country amazing and now it is my home.

Well after a little over a week and no progress (work pressure), I have found a few hours to continue. I have installed a couple of storage cupboards and shelves, moved in a bit of glass ware and equipment, electrics and lights are working, and there is a little soft background music.

As can be seen, this is the kitchen/prep room. I don't think my stainless table will fit here, so I will move this one into the growing room to use as a worktop. I still need to build the sink unit this week, so I will make an additional unit to replace the stainless table.
And a view from the prep room through to the growing room with the flasking room off to the left.

The growing room has four sets of racks now. I have nearly completed wiring the electrical control board for the lights and temperature control. I don't think this room is an urgency at the moment (as I don't have anything to put into it as of yet. I need to just make the 'dark cupboard' for germination with its narrow range temperature control, this will be done this week along with the sink unit.

And my laminar flow! Second hand, but appears to be in good working condition. I cant wait to try it out.

What remains is to move in the fridge, microwave, seating and white boards.
My reagents and culture media are due to arrive later in the week, then ..... just to wait for the first pods to ripen and I can get started!

Latest posts

Back