Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmfette

Reaction score
recently arrived from ca:

sandhill 'tokyo' x ['tree of progress' x james crow]

pacific rainbow 'kaleidoscope' x crazy jolly 'hubba hubba'

unnamed/unlabeled

...all three are in various degrees of neglect; one appears near death...

...what are best practices for resurecting these paph's?...i plan to repot but am unsure about temperature post-potting...i have a plant "i.c.u" w/ bottom temp. set @ around 72 degrees....should i dust w/ rooting hormone when repotting (many roots are dead)...humidity?...gruber's mix or moss or something else?...

...these and some divisions of warm-growing multi-florals from florida are my first try @ slippers...the floridians are already putting out new growth, healthy & happy as clams...the californians are hanging in there - i'd hate to lose them...and i haven't a clue what they might look like...my thanks in atticipation of your help...
...mark...

I have had good success immersing such plants for several hours in a solution of Inocucor Garden Solution @ 3 tablespoons/gallon and KelpMax @ 1 tablespoon per gallon. IGS is loaded with beneficial bacteria and fungi that kill pathogens and secrete antibiotics to prevent new infections and the KelpMax is the best, yet safest root/plant growth-growth stimulant available. (Not all powdered rooting hormones are safe with orchids.)

Yes, bottom heart is a good idea.

pictures are most helpful
...i excised dead roots & repotted the one that did not pass the gentle tug test...it had one long root that was curling 'round @ the bottom of the pot...i did not treat with anything yet...i used coarse bark/chunky perlie/chunky moss mix in bottom half graduating to gruber's fine for the top half w/ a light casing of coarse bark to finish it off...i set it the i.c.u. w/ bottom heat set @ 75°F...

...like the i.c.u. plant, the other two have foliar stippling patterns and other signs of critters & sporadic efforts to address them in the past and recently...i haven't seen any sign of new critters so i'm going to risk moving them out of quarantine and into the i.c.u. keeping them a little on the dry side until i see new growth...

...i have no idea what kind of critter attacked these plants or if i should expect their return and do a systemic stitch-in-time soon...

...i hope i am doing the right things for now to get these paphs healthy & happy...thank you very much for helping me!

...mark...

Attachments

• 20191105_075954.jpg
    20191105_075954.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 20191105_080013.jpg
    20191105_080013.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 20191105_080144.jpg
    20191105_080144.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 20191105_080420-1.jpg
    20191105_080420-1.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 32
I see mechanical damage as well as damage from mites, and the roots....
Clean them, put in a mix with bark some moist sphagnum. The last one is an OZ plant so it should be nice. Good luck.

I see mite damage, looks like rust mites, they spread!! Not sure how to get rid of them, maybe somebody with experience will chime in

Latest posts

Back