85 year old Vanda

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Grandma M

Vanda-85yearsold_7732.jpg
Vanda-85yearsold2-7737.jpg

This was very difficult to photograph. I had to take it into the sun.

I went with my grand-daughter and 2 great-grand sons to Meijer Gardens to see the butterfly exhibit. It is a bit early in the season to go but it still was informative for the boys. The older one asked if I would go with them again in a couple of weeks because he was disappointed there were not as many as last year. The butterflys were just starting to emerge. They both were so fascinated to watch the new ones emerge and watch them as they dried out and were learning to fly. It was a fun day for me as well and it was not as crowded as it will be later.

I also took many pictures of the boys and the gardens, expecially the orchids. They had a huge vanda which I was told was 85 years old. It was hard to photograph because the light was not right and also, because of the breeze it kept turning around, but I tried my best. The attendant was going to look up the name of the plant for me but got side tracked.

I just wish I could have been able to get a better picture. Possibly the next time I go it may not be as sunny a day so I can get a better shot.

Marilyn, this must be an extraordinary plant, but it is not small. I am somewhat uncomfortable to imagine mine in some more years!! :) Jean

Yikes, that's enormous!

There is a butterfly house not far away from where we live. It's pretty tiny but I loved it there.

man sometime i wished i lived near a butterfly conservatory. it is so natural in there that itz unbelievable... it looks like jungle from those 2 pics and that vanda is godly... soooo huge...

Try getting that to a meeting !!!!!:D

No thanks,Roy. They told me it is over 250 pounds. I think I am going to try to find out where it originally came from.

My 4 year old great-grandson couldn't quite comprehend the fact that the plant is older than both our ages combined.

Latest posts

Back