21st World Orchid Conference Grand Champion - Angulocaste Olympus

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Grand-Champ.jpg

Just wanted to share this photo I found waiting on my phone this morning. I'm sorry, I don't know who the grower is, but I'm sure we'll find out as more information comes forth. Everyone I have heard from says it is a wonderful show.

Grand champion of 40,000 something different species. Must be an extroardinarily hard plant to grow, excellent

:sob: I was supposed to be there, but now I'm in Iowa..! :sob:

Several years I waited for WOC to come to South Africa and then, when it finally arrived, I left the country. Oh well... I'm sure it will be back in the USA one of these days...

Olympus is one of the fine ones, though I prefer the whitish/rose form of Olympus. Well deserved!

When I get home I'll look at it more.
Best bloom at that show - ok, I can agree.

I don't have computer now.

omg so boring and off the pace! This is a grex from the 1970s? Probably a clone from then as well! Years ago in 1982 there was a clone on the East Coast that got a 99 point cultural award with 50-some flowers and 20 buds grown in a huge homemade box. It gradually got higher and higher CCMs from the late 1970s until the 99 point award, when the owner supposedly got frustrated that he couldn't get 100 points, and cut up the plant. Since then the same clone 'Chadds Ford' has received numerous other cultural awards. This WOC clone is pretty far from 70 flowers. Was there really nothing else? Nothing modern? Nothing new or different? I'm disheartened by this award. I would love to know what else got bests-of-class...

The champion plant in the 20th WOC looked way better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It has been a pleasant show, the plants perhaps not of expected and anticipated grade. From a paph perspective, the show is a touch early for local growers. I will try and take some pictures tomorrow and post a few results.

Back