2 phrags for review

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

DavidH

HannePopowxCardinaleemail.jpg

Last week this plant had 6 blooms on it! It's Hanne Popow x Cardinale.

phragGrande1email.jpg

This plant originally came from a person who really knew their plants and had this labelled as a cadautum. After several detailed pictures of the plant were reviewed by two experts, the consensus is it's a Grande. I was given it by a friend last summer as a 4 growth division and it just exploded! Two of the growths have 3 flowers open at once and more buds are on top!

phragGrande2email.jpg

a closeup of the flowers.

-Dave

I'm actually surprised that the Hanne Popow x Cardinale has three branches of flowers. I hadn't seen that on any of my phrags before.

The Grande is in a 5 inch net pot, Aussie Gold mix, sitting in a container that will hold up to 1/2 inch of water. Leaves are about 16 inches long and the plant probably takes up about a 10 inch diameter. Most of my phrags are clumped together so it looks more like a jungle than it does individual plants (i.e. all you can see is leaves, not individual pots). It's on the top shelf and gets near 3000-3500 ft candles of light. It easily handled winter temps of the low 50's. I feed my plants with 50 ppm N using the west coast MSU formula from Fred Clarke (Sunset Valley Orchids), which means it has a PH of 0.5 higher than the regular formula. When feeding, the PH of the fertilizer water is 6.8.

I was just informed that the Grande was awarded a CCM at the Phoenix show earlier today.

Roy said:
Congratulations, NOW, please tell us how you got so many spikes on the thing!!!!!!!!

High light (3000 ft candles), pure water, 50 ppm Nitrogen feedings, net pot, a water retentive mix, and letting it sit in about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of water which accumulates after I water everything.

Except for not having a circulating pump, it's close to semi-hydro.

Thanks Dave, mine are very close to the light factor of yours and have been higher, no luck. Currently my Phrags are putting up spikes or in flower, 6 months out of wack but many growths per plant hopefully multi spiking at the right time.
ROY.

ps might have to place an axe near them !!

Back