2 Phrag. besseae

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John M

Orchid Addict
Reaction score
I love this species!

Phrag. besseae 'Norman E. Marcotte' This clone can have much more rounded petals when it's bigger and really happy. This blooming is from a single growth division. Antec has a photo of this clone on their site that shows it's potential. At one time, it was the nicest besseae I'd ever seen; but nowadays of course, some of the newer clones are shaped even better.
101_1684-2NormanEMarcotte2.jpg

I got this one from Wendy last year. 'Love the colour; but, the form is just like the first ones to come out of the jungle back in the 80's.
101_1606-2redbesseae.jpg

The second one is interesting. There are too many like the first one.

Those are amazing..........I love the first one especially. It looks like an almost perfect flower.

Hi. What's the name of the 2nd darker one, and is it dividable?

NYEric, Until you asked, it didn't have a clonal name. However, the colour is so nice and well saturated that I do think that this plant deserves a clonal name. So, I've named it 'Wendy - Warrior Princess'. No, seriously, that's what I've put on the tag....in honour of my best bud, Wendy! It's not dividable yet; but, soon.....

I think that that first besseae is among the best I've seen... I prefer this shape to the over-sized, round petaled ones that are popular these days. They're both gorgeous!

- Matt

Both lovely, specially No.1, as a question though, would No.2 have dalessandroi lurking somewhere in the breeding ??? The petal shape and the staminode appears to indicate that to me.

NYEric said:
I don't think the color is right for the 2nd to have dalessandroi. John, if it gets big enough I'm interested [the plant, pervs!].
red and big enough, I heard you buddy:clap:

Thanks for your comments everyone. This plant originated from Ecuagenera. To see it in person, it really doesn't look like it's got any dalessandroi in it. The colour is too rich and the petals aren't shaped right. Instead of turned down at the tips, they are turned up at the bottom edge. It's hard to see that in the single 2 dimentional photo that I posted. To me, it simply looks like a very, very nicely coloured flower with typical jungle besseae shape. I don't know if Ecuagenera keeps up with the demand for this species by producing seed grown plants from selected parents, or by simply keeping a large supply of (originally wild), stock plants and selling divisions.

NYEric, your interest is noted and marked on the tag.

John M said:
Thanks for your comments everyone. This plant originated from Ecuagenera. To see it in person, it really doesn't look like it's got any dalessandroi in it. The colour is too rich and the petals aren't shaped right. Instead of turned down at the tips, they are turned up at the bottom edge. It's hard to see that in the single 2 dimentional photo that I posted. To me, it simply looks like a very, very nicely coloured flower with typical jungle besseae shape. I don't know if Ecuagenera keeps up with the demand for this species by producing seed grown plants from selected parents, or by simply keeping a large supply of (originally wild), stock plants and selling divisions.

NYEric, your interest is noted and marked on the tag.
John thanks for telling the source, I should pay more care & attention to the beseaes I still have, I have about 10 of these from Ecuagenera.
Ecuagenera grow these from seeds using seclected parents (not jungle collected). They are valuable even more now because Ecuagenera stop export besseae (they did not renew their cites permit for phrag around 2005, I believe)

Latest posts

Back