2 Goodyera Species and maybe a natural hybrid

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DukeBoxer

Reaction score
Hi Guys, today my wife and I and some other members of the CT OS went on a hike in the Peoples State Forest in Barkhamstead, CT. We saw A LOT of pink lady slippers, Epipactis helleborine, and 3 different types of goodyeras. We saw tesselata (Checkered Rattlesnake Plantain), pubescens (Downy Rattlesnake Plantain) and what seems to be a natural hybrid of the two. It has larger leaves than either of the other species and a much wider white stripe down the middle. It grows more like the pubescens, in clumps and the leaves are beautiful. Here are some pictures of the 3 so you can see the difference.

The 1st one is Goodyera tesselata
Goodyera_tesselata.jpg

The second is Goodyera pubescens
Goodyera_pubescens.jpg

and this one is the unknown
Goodyera_unknown.jpg

Enjoy
-Josh

Very nice.

It seems like in TN I've seen a fair amount of variation in the leaves of pubescens, but I can't recall seeing one as extreme as the picture above. You might want to contact John Tullock to see what he thinks about it.

I picked up a couple of pubescens from a native plant propogator here in TN and it's got buds opening now. The flowers are small but very intricate.

We also found a Drocera (sundew) species, I'm at work not but I will post pictures later on. I would really like to know who to contact about this to see what their take on it is. Rick, any info on how to contact Mr. John Tullock?

And here I thought Goodyera came from southeast Asia.:eek:

Hien, I think there are more species of Goodyera in SE Asia than there are here in North America. I believe there are 4 species here.

We also found a Drocera (sundew) species, I'm at work not but I will post pictures later on. I would really like to know who to contact about this to see what their take on it is. Rick, any info on how to contact Mr. John Tullock?
Try reaching him thru Conservation Fisherie, Inc. I just googled their page and he works for them.

Eric, you should come to CT some time, I have found 2 separate clumps of pubescens about 1 mile from my house. They were actually one of the first orchids I found growing in the wild, and believe me, I looked hard. I actually just stumbled across them one day while on a walk in some trails near my house. Who knows what that third pic might be of really, I just say that it might be a natural hybrid because the lady that we were walking with had mentioned it. It really is quite different from the pubescens with the wider white stripe down the middle and a much bigger plant over all. Maybe its a 4N pubescens. I do know one thing though, it is definitely fertile, there were many old spikes with seedpods still on the plants.

-Josh

Eric, the seeds weren't there, just empty pods...oh well, it would be nice though

Latest posts

Back