2 awarded kovachii's at the Madison orchid show

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have had some that stay flat quite nicely.
Certainly a trait that can be selected. [and it would be crazy not to]
I am heading to Tokyo Dome. Last year Peruflora had some really exceptional ones there. Will post pics.
JC

Yes, the petals are fully open. These are both "first generation" plants (so their parents were "Jungle Collected"). The reason that these are "more round" is just genetic variation. We have noticed plants that have flowers that are "more round" and stay "more flat" as others that definitely get more ruffled, and recurve backwards as they age. We are using the flatter flowers (like these that got awarded) as parents to make the next generation of kovachii's, so hopefully each generation of plants will result in more flatter flowers.

Robert

Are these easier to grow than wild collected or first generation KVs?

I already noticed that the second generation seedlings are easier to grow in the lab than the first generation seedlings, so the answer is, "yes". Partly because (unintentionally) we have selected the "strongest" plants, as they are the ones that grow faster and were able to live under our (man-made) cultural conditions (the weaker plants either died in the lab, or they died as little seedlings in the nursery). We then sibbed two of these plants that already performed better, to make the next generation, and again in the second generation we will be selecting plants that perform best under "our man-made" conditions, so each generation you end up with a larger population that will grow more easier (in a "man made enviroment").

Robert

We are using the flatter flowers (like these that got awarded) as parents to make the next generation of kovachii's, so hopefully each generation of plants will result in more flatter flowers.

Since everyone will try to make flatter flowers, and will succeed I think it would be interesting also to try and make the nicest ruffly ones through selection. Why not try both? I'm sure people would buy them and it would be interesting to see

VERY NICE!!! Congratulations! I LOVE opening your posts, Robert!

The 'Ray Raab' clone is stunning. The other clone maybe should've been held back and exhibited on the next bloom; on a bigger plant. Now that it's won an 87 point AM, it'a going to be harder to get it pointed again and possibly upgraded. It will have to be so-oooo much better in the future, than it is right now for a judging team to want to go through the whole process of considering it again and repointing it.

However, knowing how well you guys grow these, if you refrain from chopping it again and let it bulk up to multiple growths with roots, I have no doubt that you'll get that extra quality squeezed out of it. Good luck!

Since everyone will try to make flatter flowers, and will succeed I think it would be interesting also to try and make the nicest ruffly ones through selection. Why not try both? I'm sure people would buy them and it would be interesting to see

Below is an example of a kovachii that has more more "ruffles". In my opinion not a characteristic that is highly desirable, but hey, if someone likes this they should breed for it :)

Robert

I love your FCC clone a lot! Congrat!!! And I am with eggshells.... like ruffles!

:poke: ..... Seeeeee? :)

Not everyone grows up with the AOS manual under their pillow and understands that natural things don't have to resemble a plate :)
I do respect the time and effort that goes into selecting for traits, it takes a looooooong time

Below is an example of a kovachii that has more more "ruffles". In my opinion not a characteristic that is highly desirable, but hey, if someone likes this they should breed for it :)

Robert

Give me the 'undesirable' plant and I'll select for ruffliness... I promise! ;) (and release seedlings to ruffle lovers)

wow, wow, wow.
I actually prefer the AM flower.

I agree! The reason they scored 'Tesoro Morado' lower (even though the dimensions of the flower were larger) was that the color was a little more "pink" compared to 'Ray Raab' and also they didn't like that the midrib of the petals were not totally flat (they point slightly upwards at an angle), notice on Ray Raab that the midribs of both petals are almost horizontal.

This is a picture of 'Tesoro Morado' when it bloomed for us in the past, it had darker flowers then, and also the shape was somewhat better. Too bad, you never know when the buds open what the flowers will look like...We were all excited that we finally could bring 'Tesoro Morado' to judging, as in the past it would always bloom when there was no judging. When judging kovachii's you only have about a 2 to 3 day window, where they look at their best!

Robert

both flowers are stunning!!! :drool::drool::drool:

I don't know why my 5 growths plant doesn't want to bloom, it's growing and growing (from a tiny tiny tiny seedling) but no bud yet :poke:

both flowers are stunning!!! :drool::drool::drool:

I don't know why my 5 growths plant doesn't want to bloom, it's growing and growing (from a tiny tiny tiny seedling) but no bud yet :poke:

It seems that yours is growing ok, as you already have 5 growths, but maybe the reason yours is not blooming is that it is staying too dry. kovachii plants NEVER want to dry out. We have ours on an Eb and Flow system, and they get watered twice a day! You can also put the pots on a saucer, and make sure there is always water sitting in there (be sure to give it fresh water at least twice a weak). If they stay too dry (like if you only water it once to twice a week), the buds will abort at an early age.

Robert

I agree! The reason they scored 'Tesoro Morado' lower (even though the dimensions of the flower were larger) was that the color was a little more "pink" compared to 'Ray Raab' and also they didn't like that the midrib of the petals were not totally flat (they point slightly upwards at an angle), notice on Ray Raab that the midribs of both petals are almost horizontal.

Robert

I like that the mid rib slopes upwards. It looks better balanced to me.
Who decided that phrag petals should be horizontal??? (retorical question)

Latest posts

Back