2 awarded kovachii's at the Madison orchid show

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Drorchid

Two of our Phrag. kovachii's got an AOS award last weekend at the Orchid Quest in Madison. The first is an AM/AOS with 87 points for Phrag. kovachii 'Tesoro Morado'. This was our very first kovachii that bloomed for us. It has bloomed for us better in the past, with larger flowers that were darker in color, so hopefully someday we will still get an FCC on this plant (keep in mind that these pictures were taken 3 days after they were judged, and had travelled all the way back from Madison to Minnesota).

Phrag. kovachii 'Tesoro Morado' AM/AOS:

And finally our very first FCC/AOS for a kovachii. It got 90 points.
Phrag. kovachii 'Ray Raab' FCC/AOS:

Robert

Looking at my own pictures taken at the show, the petals were distinctly rounder on Saturday than they appear here. I can't tell if they were flatter then or if they got longer since to change the appearance. The lighting at the show was terrible, but the position of these plants in the display allowed you to get almost nose-to-nose with them for a close look. Up close the texture was amazing.

Congratulations!!! Marvelous color and great culture. Pffft!
to the judges on the FCC. You'll get it never fear. I think
I'd be afraid of molesting that pouch. They look soooo
velvety and touchable.

Truly show stopping!

I did want to ask, whether the petals are fully open? If so, the more rounded and less ruffly petals must be a result of your line breeding, or is it culture?

Congrats Robert!

If Phrag. kovachii 'Tesoro Morado' is the first pk to bloom for you, where are the rest of the leaves?

Are the pics in the right order? Or is that a division?
Thanks.

Congrats Robert!

If Phrag. kovachii 'Tesoro Morado' is the first pk to bloom for you, where are the rest of the leaves?

Are the pics in the right order? Or is that a division?
Thanks.
Thanks for the congratulations everyone.

This 'Tesoro Morado' is a division of the original plant, so that is why it is smaller. The other plant has never been divided, and has more than 12 growths!

Robert

Truly show stopping!

I did want to ask, whether the petals are fully open? If so, the more rounded and less ruffly petals must be a result of your line breeding, or is it culture?

Yes, the petals are fully open. These are both "first generation" plants (so their parents were "Jungle Collected"). The reason that these are "more round" is just genetic variation. We have noticed plants that have flowers that are "more round" and stay "more flat" as others that definitely get more ruffled, and recurve backwards as they age. We are using the flatter flowers (like these that got awarded) as parents to make the next generation of kovachii's, so hopefully each generation of plants will result in more flatter flowers.

Robert

Yes, the petals are fully open. These are both "first generation" plants (so their parents were "Jungle Collected"). The reason that these are "more round" is just genetic variation. We have noticed plants that have flowers that are "more round" and stay "more flat" as others that definitely get more ruffled, and recurve backwards as they age. We are using the flatter flowers (like these that got awarded) as parents to make the next generation of kovachii's, so hopefully each generation of plants will result in more flatter flowers.

Robert

Are these easier to grow than wild collected or first generation KVs?

Latest posts

Back