• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Wanted 2.25" x 3.25" clear square pots

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thanx i'm seeing a bunch of interesting options from that company (wish we had an american made product like this but whatever - global economy )

I just switched out all my BangQiao for either 2.25" pots from Sophies or 2" + 2.5" Rand pots. For me the BangQiao pots (coupled with Ochriata Classic) didn't retain the moisture I needed it to despite the pots sitting in a humidity tray. Just thought I'd throw that info out there just in case it saves someone time/energy from repotting x3 like I did.

Last edited:
I just switched out all my BangQiao for either 2.25" pots from Sophies or 2" + 2.5" Rand pots. For me the BangQiao pots (coupled with Ochriata Classic) didn't retain the moisture I needed it to despite the pots sitting in a humidity tray. Just thought I'd throw that info out there just in case it saves someone time/energy from repotting x3 like I did.

funny for me, that observation/experience actually is useful and makes the pot option more attractive... being able to water my paphs more frequently is something i'd like to be doing...

I use several different types of clear pots. I have many small fans keeping constant air flow over all my plants. I find the only ones which dry faster are the ones with slits. Grow phrags in these as I let them occasionally sit in the water.
I haven't notice any type of pot (of the same size) drying any faster.

For those using the BangQiao pots. I don't see anything about UV stabilization on them so I would assume they are not. Have you found them to hold up or are they too new to make that determination? Every time I use non UV stabilized pots, the end up turning brittle and crumbling.

For those using the BangQiao pots. I don't see anything about UV stabilization on them so I would assume they are not. Have you found them to hold up or are they too new to make that determination? Every time I use non UV stabilized pots, the end up turning brittle and crumbling.
Get a big clear bag. Put the pots in it. Spray it down with H2O2 in the bag, seal it and put it in the sun for a day. Should be perfectly sterile after that.

i asked the vendor that question on Amazon and they specifically said they are not UV stabilized…

Very late to this party, but I just joined this forum last week. I'm Stef (of Quarter Acre Orchids) and I WISH I could get my hands on the original 2.25" tall pots.. I'd even take the new style with the mesh bottom if I could get them in clear/translucent, but there is zero information printed on them, and the original source has not been made known to me. I sold cases and cases and cases and have people waiting for them to come back into stock. I have even attempted to source my own, but that's a whole other adventure. I can promise, however, that if I CAN get them, I will get them. :) In the mean time I continue to scour my various vendors for new sources of a similar style pot. I do have them in black, but that's not the same.

Welcome aboard, Stef!

The late Harry Tolen at Chula Orchids bought a bunch of McConkey molds and had literally truckloads of them made. Since the passing of he and his wife, his kids have taken over as (apparently) a part-time business, so have not restocked.

Thanks Ray!

yes.. I still work with Chula, although I had not heard that Harry passed, and that makes me sad. We go way back... he was certainly a character. I have now written to McConkey about making a run.. last manufacturer I checked with for a specific pot required a full run of 20,000 pots.. I'm not sure I can handle that volume personally, but I'd at least like the information so I can make an informed decision. And 20k 2.25" pots is certainly a lot easier to store than 20k 8" pots!

StefJ - Yeah, Harry was a trip to work with. He was devastated when his wife died, but managed to hang on a few years.

Have you considered contacting other vendors and/or breeders who might be willing to split the bulk cost?

Hey @StefJ Glad to see you on here. We’d love to see you solve for these unavailable chula products also
#3.25NCUV and the #4.5 CLUV

Really kicking myself for not buying bigger quantities 4 years ago

Hey @StefJ Glad to see you on here. We’d love to see you solve for these unavailable chula products also
#3.25NCUV and the #4.5 CLUV

Really kicking myself for not buying bigger quantities 4 years ago
Me too! I used to buy them a thousand at a time. I heard back from McKonkey… they said these are not made in the Us.. they are made over seas and at this time there is no possibility to make them in clear. I’ll keep looking! I do have this pot.. it’s 2.75 so half an inch bigger and almost 4” tall.

Attachments

• EFE5109A-D19F-4F0D-AC93-80BCC3C28A49.jpeg
    EFE5109A-D19F-4F0D-AC93-80BCC3C28A49.jpeg
    369.6 KB · Views: 1
StefJ - Yeah, Harry was a trip to work with. He was devastated when his wife died, but managed to hang on a few years.

Have you considered contacting other vendors and/or breeders who might be willing to split the bulk cost?
McConkey said no possibility of getting these made in clear.. they are made over seas. I know, from what I know about actually making plastic pots, that it IS technically possibly.. so I guess they just don’t have the interest. Some of my favorite pots have come and gone over the years. I want the 5.5” azalea pot back too.

McConkey said no possibility of getting these made in clear.. they are made over seas. I know, from what I know about actually making plastic pots, that it IS technically possibly.. so I guess they just don’t have the interest. Some of my favorite pots have come and gone over the years. I want the 5.5” azalea pot back too.
Right there with you. I have a good 80% of my greenhouse in clear pots 1k+ plants. Guess it’s good to not take supply for granted any more! Btw. Checking your site for that pot you showed above now. ;-)

Last edited:
@StefJ Sorry if this is turning into a commercial for your site:).

You used to have a case lot/ quantity variation for ordering that was very reasonable. I suppose sources don’t support that business model anymore?

Latest posts

Back