12th International Slipper Orchid Symposium - Altamonte Springs, FL

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The 12th International Slipper Orchid Symposium will once again be held at the Clarion Inn & Conference Center (formerly the Holiday Inn) November 7, 2009 in Altamonte Springs, FL just outside Orlando. Those who have attended in the past already know what great fun this event is. For those who have never attended, I hope you will consider making this your first year. Most people enjoy this even so much they look forward to it each year.

This year's speakers are

• Theresa Hill of Hillsview Orchids
  • Harold Koopowitz, Ph.D
  • Sam Tsui of Orchid Inn
Vendors will set up sales tables around the conference area and offer a variety of very special plants before and in between three excellent speaker presentations during the day. Immediately following the presentations an expert panel will convene a roundtable discussion. Then in the evening a very entertaining auction and delicious BBQ take place at Krull-Smith to provide a wonderful environment and opportunity to get to know each other and acquire some very nice plants at the auction. For those who still haven’t had enough after the auction, there is still another chance to max out your growing area with an open house and tour of Frank Smith’s private orchid collection at Krull-Smith on Sunday morning.

Please visit the official website to learn all the details:

12th International Slipper Orchid Symposium Official Website

Ross contributed some of his photos from last year's event, and if anyone else has any photos from previous symposiums they would like to share, please let me know and we’ll get them up on the site for all to see.

I've already booked my flight and can't wait to go. It's a must event for slipper lovers. It is my understanding that Hadley Cash of Marriott Orchids although not speaking this year will be there as a vendor.

I'd also like to thank Scott for putting together the new website and getting it up and running. Thanks my friend.

Julie and I booked our flight last night. Last year was our first year. The speakers were excellent, the barbecue and auction was a great place to talk informally with all sorts of wonderful people, and Frank is a gracious and generous host. Air rates to Orlando always seem to be pretty reasonable at this time of year, and the weather is just perfect.

I know I am not one of the best behaved Slipper talkers so take this as you will, but this has been one of my most anticipated orchid events for the last 8 or so years and I recommend it highly. I look forward to seeing you all there.
Rob

I suppose I should work on getting my passport so I can go to these events. Sounds like a good learning experience.

Ive been looking at flights...It's just all the other costs. Got school too...but only one class on Friday! We'll see, I haven't ruled it out yet.

What torture to scrape together travel expenses & then not have any spending money with those vendors! :sob:

So sorry that happened, Bob. I'll get it sorted out on Monday. The hotel event coordinator assured me that the reservations folks would be prepared so it is likely just a communications glitch.

I would like to go since it's been quite a number of years since I have gone to an "orchid event" other than shows. Since $ is a real problem right now :mad:, if I could make it work I would most likely book a nearby less expensive hotel. Renting a car would not be an option. For the Krull-Smith events, do people carpool/rideshare?

Susan

I still don't really know what I would need to do for CITES to bring back plants to Canada; I keep wondering if I could stand to go to the symposium and not buy plants...:p

Is Orlando the closest hub to fly into?

Yep, Orlando International Airport is the closest.
It is a straight shot up 436 to the hotel.

I would like to go since it's been quite a number of years since I have gone to an "orchid event" other than shows. Since $ is a real problem right now :mad:, if I could make it work I would most likely book a nearby less expensive hotel. Renting a car would not be an option. For the Krull-Smith events, do people carpool/rideshare?

Susan

Susan, I hope you can make it. Those Alaska nonstops from Seattle to Orlando sure make the flying part easy. I'm not sure what might be in the area that is much less expensive than the Clarion at $69/night. These are large rooms that, according to their event coordinator, comfortably sleep four people so if you have the opportunity to double up with someone it's a pretty good value.

Almost everyone carpools to the BBQ - it's more fun and it's a heck of a lot easier. People also carpooled for the Sunday nursery tour but not quite as many because some just make it a stop on their way out of town to go home, so they would not be returning to the hotel.

I still don't really know what I would need to do for CITES to bring back plants to Canada; I keep wondering if I could stand to go to the symposium and not buy plants...:p

Is Orlando the closest hub to fly into?

Every year there are several people who have Krull-Smith ship their plants to them. Krull-Smith has done this in previous years for essentially the cost of shipping and for those outside the U.S., the cost of the phyto and CITES certificates.

Orlando is the closest airport for most people, but if your city is served by Allegiant Air, you can fly into Sanford airport which is quite a bit closer.

Latest posts

Back