10g Freshwater Iwagumi Tank

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon in SW Ohio

Reefer, the legal kind
Reaction score
I've posted pics of this tank on here before, but figured it deserved it's own thread since it's a work in progress.

Iwagumi is an aquatic landscaping style focusing on simplicity and balance, and gives a nice "clean" look I always liked. I originally tried doing the carpeting in Java Moss, but it is just too "wild growing" of a plant to pull off the clean turf look I wanted.

Here it is before I pulled up the moss carpet and switched over to a 70w metal halide.
IMG_4374.jpg

And here it is now with the beginnings of a Hemianthus callitrichoides carpet that should completely fill in over the next couple months
IMG_4610.jpg

IMG_4609.jpg

IMG_4611.jpg

Nope, and according to one of my fish guru friends they are irradiated when they hatch to make them sterile :(

I'm hoping that isn't the case, because I'd love to see the progeny of the different colors breeding together. They might end up in a different tank once everything is grown in and replaced with Cardinal Tetras.

Yup, that's HC.

The people on the planted tank forum think I'm nuts for running a 70w MH, but I'm guessing a lot of people have trouble with it because they don't have enough light. It's a plant that doesn't just grow underwater, and to me that says good light. Now if I could just find a local source for Pogostemon helferi to replace that Anubias on the rocks I'd be set!

And Eric you'll be glad to know, once this tank is settled in I plan on keeping Cardinal Tetras in this tank. The only problem is this tank is maintaining a pH of 8.2 and a KH of 17...which is insanely high.

Yup, that's HC.

And Eric you'll be glad to know, once this tank is settled in I plan on keeping Cardinal Tetras in this tank. The only problem is this tank is maintaining a pH of 8.2 and a KH of 17...which is insanely high.

What type is the substrate? As im sure you know, substrates and decor rocks used can contribute to high pH and hardness. Whats you plan for the water?

Cant wait to see the Cardinal Tetras. One of my favorite small fishes.

Many years ago, a friend set up a 75 ish gallon tank. It was custom and square in shape. He put one very large piece of driftwood in the center, then added a big school (25-30 / half lot) of Cardinal or Neon Tetras. I dont remember which. It was an awesome display.

I'm using Eco Complete for substrate and have no idea what the rocks in the tank are, I just liked the looks of them at the pet store.

A former forum member and fish guru seems to think Cardinals will do fine in these conditions, they just probably won't breed without soft water. The main thing is to acclimate them slowly. I'm still doing all my water changes with RO water to see if that makes a difference.

I think now I need to spruce up my moss farm tank and get some Fundulopanchax gardneri nigerianus since I keep catching myself Googling them....maybe a Dutch style planted tank is in my future...

I'm using Eco Complete for substrate and have no idea what the rocks in the tank are, I just liked the looks of them at the pet store.

A former forum member and fish guru seems to think Cardinals will do fine in these conditions, they just probably won't breed without soft water. The main thing is to acclimate them slowly. I'm still doing all my water changes with RO water to see if that makes a difference.

I think now I need to spruce up my moss farm tank and get some Fundulopanchax gardneri nigerianus since I keep catching myself Googling them....maybe a Dutch style planted tank is in my future...

Argh, HATE dutch style. No offence, it's too planned and orderly for me, stick to Amano. :poke: I love Fundulopanchax and was planning on a pair but ended up with Pseudomugil furcatus. Nice choice though. That rock will for sure make your water harder, and if Eco Complete is anything like ADA Amazonia then it will soften the water, so only time will tell what the PH will be....and then if you ever dose with ferts and add CO2 then the PH will change again. I'd say add some hair grass to the back. I've only had cardinals breed in a tank with RO water and peat in the filter, no rocks, and lots of plants and driftwood. You need some shrimp. CRS all the way! I'll post some pics of my little jems when I get home. Good Lord we're addicts. :noangel: Great start by the way, I love it, as long as I get to see updates of your tanks maybe I won't need to get another!

We're on the same page ;)

I just got my order of CRS (Crystal Reds for everyone else) this morning. Most are the red and white, but I got a couple black and white "normal" ones as freebies. Tomorrow night is the local bar crawl for Halloween so I won't be near a computer to post pics until Friday.

The HC is already sending out new roots on the outermost growths and creeping towards the substrate from the slight mound they are growing from. Lots of people on the other forums say they don't see any growth the first couple weeks so hopefully this is a good sign and my thumb is still green when it's under water ;)

Maybe the next tank for gardneris will be another one I've been envisioning with a very branching piece of driftwood or manzanita with weeping moss tied to the tips to give a bonsai or weeping willow tree look. I've seen a couple done similar with spectacular results...guess the dart frog addiction will have to wait to get started.

Hello,

Have you considered using Echinodorus tenellus as a lawn plant? Very easy to grow, and under good lighting the leaves go a nice red.

If you like "neon" looking fish, you may want to consider Endler's livebearers. they are a striking neon green and bright orange. Best of all, they feast on algae like other livebearers which helps with algae control. They also breed like rabbits so need to worry about ever restocking your tank.

there are other neat growing mosses you could use for a lawn. visit http://www.killies.com/forum and browse the planted tank section. Taiwan moss is apparently very useful for what you desire.

Regards

P.S. its nice to meet more fishy folks on this forum. I besotted with killifish, but am re-setting up my planted tank soon...

Latest posts

Back