10g Freshwater Iwagumi Tank

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope, and according to one of my fish guru friends they are irradiated when they hatch to make them sterile :(

I'm hoping that isn't the case, because I'd love to see the progeny of the different colors breeding together. They might end up in a different tank once everything is grown in and replaced with Cardinal Tetras.

Irradiated,such inhuman treatment to control profit , Is that why the fish seem to glow?
The shrimp look awesome.

Last edited:
This is going to be a beauty. It already is really. I love the Hemianthus callitrichoides and the Cardinals are going to look great in there!!! Anubias nana is a great plant, but there's nothing "nana" about it in the end (at least in my experience). Mine are monsters--gorgeous, almost ever-blooming monsters.

Irradiated,such inhuman treatment to control profit , Is that why the fish seem to glow?
The shrimp look awesome.

No, the glowing is from a protein that makes other creatures glow naturally. The irradiation is because there was a big stink about these "Frankenstein Fish" when they were first created and one of the conditions of being able to sell them to the general public was to sterilize them so they couldn't escape into any local waterways. They're still illegal in some states as far as I know because they are genetically engineered.

No, I don't think so, and no this isn't a good photo I just snapped in a slapdash fashion, but you get the idea. (Hope you don't mind, Jon--this doesn't need its own thread!) Peony, the Telescope Eye in the lower left, is about 6" long. The three Anubias (which were about 4" tall when I got them three summers ago) are potted up because I refuse to use gravel in the bottoms of my goldfish aquaria anymore; if you look closely, you can see roots all over the place.

anubias.jpg

After some pretty heartbreaking losses over the years and discussions with people who are a lot more serious about keeping goldfish than I am (as in, selling and showing very expensive ones is all they do--mine are "only" pet-quality), I came to the conclusion that pulling up the gravel would greatly reduce my chances of dealing with bacterial dropsy again. A single layer of pea-sized gravel is probably fine, but with anything deeper you're asking for pockets of things you don't want your goldfish rooting around in...no matter how thoroughly you vacuum your tank, there will be pockets of anaerobic bacteria producing gasses that are toxic to your fish in a small space. It doesn't matter for fish that don't take as much joy in hunting nasty morsels of who-knows-what by overturning mouthfuls of rocks; I still use them in my tetra tank. Madness or not with the goldfish, so far so good.

Very well grown Anubias!! I can understand not using gravel on a goldfish tank, especially since that tank looks cleaner than anything I've kept!

... It doesn't matter for fish that don't take as much joy in hunting nasty morsels of who-knows-what by overturning mouthfuls of rocks; I still use them in my tetra tank. Madness or not with the goldfish, so far so good.

when I was in college last time, I had two koi in a 20 gallon tank and man those fish would thrash around in the gravel especially at night and make a lot of noise

Update time:

In an effort to get the HC to grow and carpet the tank a bit faster, I drained the tank and moved the fish/shrimp to my overflow guppy tank. It is growing much faster, and I'm guessing in a month or two it will be ready to be filled back up. I also removed the Anubias for the time being, and am wanting to replace it with Downoi, Pogostemon helferi, once the water is back in it.

IMG_4682.jpg

IMG_4685.jpg

The Guppy tank, since I don't think I've posted it before:
IMG_4674.jpg

And lastly a close-up of the Crystal Red Shrimp
IMG_4678.jpg

Nice shots of the guppy tank!!! I love it!!!

Robin, these anubias are really huge!!!!

Latest posts

Back