‘Tis The Season!!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happypaphy7

Paphlover
Reaction score
Finally happening!
I was gifted this as a young seeding at about 6 inch wide in 2015.
It has grown big at well over my arm’s length now with two growths and in spike for the first time!!

I have grown this mostly under T8 until it got too big and moved it to near windowsill.

Paphiopedilum Wössner Black Wings (rothschildianum x anitum ‘Ace’)
Hopefully the flowers will be big, dark and handsome!! Will find out in about two months 😁😍
Thank you, Mike!

61903972-0097-490B-9F91-8B791FE56AA3.jpeg
And Wössner Favourite (leucochilum x hangianum) showing its fuzzy little bud. A bit late this year but it’s finally here.
DCB44D0D-B54D-42AF-B557-7B26852EB129.jpeg

Last edited:
Thank you. I will need all the luck in the universe! :)
Not ALL the luck - with your wenshanense fma. aureum and your Wössner China Moon some would say, that you've already had plenty! I would though magnanimously (😁) grant you a fair share more, if only you leave a wee bit to us other poor souls! 😉

Last edited:
You captured a great moment of excitement and anticipation there! We're all there with you for the journey. Can't wait, even though we know we have to ;)

It's WBW, it would be an event if one were NOT big & dark & handsome lol.
I would really hope so!
Most of the examples I have seen online and in person have been very good to amazing, but I have seen a few meh. Like a single flower or strangely smallish light colored flowers.
The spike has risen above the leaves quite a bit now but that sheath has not yet broke open.
Given how fat it is though, I can guess there will be at least two buds in it. Hopefully more!! :)

Congrats!!
Is that a seedling from the same grex as mine? Wait, I think there were at least two different offerings with different roth but with the same anitum 'Ace'.
By the way, do you grow yours in the regular potting soil??

Is that a seedling from the same grex as mine? Wait, I think there were at least two different offerings with different roth but with the same anitum 'Ace'.
Let us wait with the congratulations, as there is a long way to go, and I don't wanna jinx it! But we can split the luck! 😉
The cross is one of Sam's: roth. 'Leo' x anitum 'Ace'.
By the way, do you grow yours in the regular potting soil??
No, in an inorganic medium 'Greenmix' - allow me to quote myself:
"GreenMix for Orchids is a mixture of water-repellent and water-absorbent granulate with added perlite and lignite. The granulate is made from stonewool, the basic element of which is diabase rock. GreenMix for orchids is produced by Grodania A/S". It was developed in a cooperation with our local mastergrower, Hans Christiansen of Fredensborg, who 2019 could celebrate his 50th years anniversary as independent orchid nursery owner:
https://orchidegartneriet.dk
What is very important with GM, is never to let the medium dry out completely. It's a wee bit finicky using it in a living room, but it helps keeping up the humidity. If in a GH, you just (spray with a) hose the plants on a daily basis; in a heat wave, maybe twice (morning/late afternoon); in the winter, if the temperature drops, less so. You can calibrate the watering by lifting the pots: if very light, watering is direly needed, if heavy or medium weight, less so.
Once a month you have to genuinely wash the medium through, so salts don't accumulate in the medium. A very practical benefit (esp. with Cats.) is that you only need to repot, when the plant outgrows the pot (as the medium doesn't break down/decompose).

Hans introduced the medium to a group of French orchid growers - and it has become very popular on their latitudes, so he is sending quite a bit their way.

Black Swans 🥰
So looking forward to open bloom but enjoying the ride at the moment
804A4DED-8F99-4ED4-AD5B-11CC66A9A385.jpeg
Then, a bunch of parvis & bellatulum in bud & (glaucophyllum x helenae) in sheath
9DF2BFB2-2ED6-4AA8-A73C-F1840379C382.jpeg677C95A1-74DF-4427-B0D0-EBFE3BC06715.jpeg
64E17841-F219-49A5-B9A0-6A3D37AD2A01.jpeg
5D5CACD0-892C-4849-9BC0-2E24DD3D7FF6.jpeg
4BA7B524-530E-418D-A9FA-E01AB9513E1A.jpegCBAED662-5D29-4A6F-9B69-F40F1371A9FD.jpeg
8A171BC1-D104-40E7-B52D-118EA07DB069.jpeg
A100A7A6-5A49-498F-B8FC-D23123CEC9C7.jpeg

Let us wait with the congratulations, as there is a long way to go, and I don't wanna jinx it! But we can split the luck! 😉
The cross is one of Sam's: roth. 'Leo' x anitum 'Ace'.

No, in an inorganic medium 'Greenmix' - allow me to quote myself:
Multis move fast in my experience. Once you see the sheath emerging, only about two months to open bloom.

Interesting! the greenmix!

So, three buds on my WBW. Both multis are about to open in about a week or so.
Wössner Favourite and Dick Wagner is almost there, too.
The rest are either barely moved or none at all.

Back