‘Fuzzy’ the Vietnamense

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is that color break on the pouch? I love the leaves even more than the flower so far.
Is that color break on the pouch? I love the leaves even more than the flower so far.
Unfortunately this species tend to have color breaks on the pouch. The red color is usually only on the front half.

On this one, the break is on the sides and one streak on the right petal. You can see it if you look closely.

ohhh, what a great species!!!!How do you grow this???
Thanks Istvan!

I grow it with the fairries and the charlies with slightly wetter conditions. They do like cooler winter around 16C, dryer than summer and low light (approx 1200-1300 fc). They tolerate hot summers (up to 32C). They grow well but buds blast often, possibly from the dryness around roots (keep very moist while in bud) and low ambient humidity (no lower than 60% RH). Air movement (low) is critical for them.

Do you have any idea about what causes the color break? I'm looking forward to the completely open flower anyway.
Not sure, because the next year it would be stable. Perhaps this is a young first bloom plant so it's just practising lol.

Any stress or stimuli during the bud development can alter anthocyanin deposition (eg cool nights increase anthocyanin production and accumulation in some flowers like venustum).

Thanks Istvan!

I grow it with the fairries and the charlies with slightly wetter conditions. They do like cooler winter around 16C, dryer than summer and low light (approx 1200-1300 fc). They tolerate hot summers (up to 32C). They grow well but buds blast often, possibly from the dryness around roots (keep very moist while in bud) and low ambient humidity (no lower than 60% RH). Air movement (low) is critical for them.
Thanks for reply.I had success with them several times, but i mean that i could get to bloom but after blooming all had died.Is this second or several times bloomer? Any idea about after-bloom dieing?

One more comment, what could be considerable: i have seen only single growth vietnamense, in habitat or in exhibitions....never seen multigrowth plant....

Very nice! I have seen a huge variation in pics of these! I like this one

Do you have any idea about what causes the color break? I'm looking forward to the completely open flower anyway.
This is not the color break you would normally see in flowers as result of virus infection or abnormal gene expression.
This feature is normal for the species. You might find flowers with very little to almost no color streaks but almost all of them would have this to some degree.

Thanks for reply.I had success with them several times, but i mean that i could get to bloom but after blooming all had died.Is this second or several times bloomer? Any idea about after-bloom dieing?
After blooming you must feed well. Most people let them rest without feed but they are drained from the flowers.

Back