Pterostylis

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

bench72

I think this would be a first proper introduction of an Aussie terrestrial that doesn't walk on two legs...

Ever since I saw one of these in the wild... down the road from where I live... I have wanted to have one... well, now I have about 4 different species... the common name for these plants are "Greenhoods" because of the flowers.

The first to flower is Pterostylis nutans

ptstnutans.JPG

As you can see it is a terrestrial. The plants grow from little white round underground tuber during the winter months and die back in summer when it is generally hot and dry.

A close up of the flower -

ptstnutans1.JPG

Pterostylis...Greek: pteron = a wing; and stylos = a column; hence refers to the winged column of the flowers.
nutans...Latin: nutans = nodding; refers to the drooping flower.

That's pretty much it for this species... the flower has actually been open almost a month!

Another species is spiking and that is a little bit different so will post that when it is "open" :D

Yea definitely reminds of those creatures in the Dark Crystal. That movie scared the crap out of me several years ago. Classic film.

What in the world pollinates that thingy?

The Australian terestrials are very hard to come by in the US, but I ran into an orchid judge in the Atlanta center that also had some of the Pterostylis species. Have you tried any of the "beardies"?

cdub said:
What in the world pollinates that thingy?

most of the Greenhoods are pollinated by flies or gnats.

Rick said:
Have you tried any of the "beardies"?

Whoah... I'm only a novice so gotta start with the easy ones first :D

The good thing about this particular species is that it readily produces more tubers... it is regarded as a "clumper"... however, many of the other species will only produce one tuber to replace the old one....

bench72 said:
That's pretty much it for this species... the flower has actually been open almost a month!

Another species is spiking and that is a little bit different so will post that when it is "open" :D

Very interesting

Latest posts

Back