Phragmipedium Carol Kanzer ?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blondie

Reaction score
Hi

So this is has flower I brough this in a large batch of Phrags last year, from what I understand is these came from a privet collection.

I honestly dont think this is Carol Kanzer I think it is a Sedenii. Any thoughts?

It's a lovely flower either way I do like it.

Agreed. It's definitely NOT P. Carol Kanzer. The foliage alone is enough to discern that, as CK would have much narrower, grassier leaves and would likely be noticeably smaller growing.

As for actual ID, your guess is as good as mine. Unless you know the provenance of the plant, and lacking a label, it's one of those that I'm sure could be any number of crosses involving schlimii and relatives crossed with longifolium or similar.

I tend to agree. Here's my Carol Kanzer:

Phrag_CarolKanzer.jpg

Not sure that it is Sedenii, either.

I don't think either one is Sendenii unless it's been crossed
with something else. Quite different from my species
Sendenii: shorter petals and much, much lighter color than
mine. Both are quite pretty though.

Thanks oh well I was really excited to get Carol kanzer, will have to wait till next years Malvern show to get one.

It could be Phrag. Fancy Free (cardinale x pearcei). Some cardinale plants are labelled as schlimii, it would explain why your plant is labelled as Carol Kanzer.

My first thought was calurum or Ainsworthii but it is quite a small plant really will have to see how it fairs when it a few years old.

But I think calurum and Ainsworthii have the same parents so how knows, just a shame it's not the plant I brought. Still a nice flower so I'll keep it.

And not the nurseries fault as these we her give to them and they had no reason to doubt the plants.

Ecuagenera mass produces them. If they come to a show near you order one.

If it had flowered on Friday I would have picked a carol kanzer on Sat when I at Malvern so wil hag to wait a year as I won't see that company till malvern next year.

Back