Any suggestions???

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bjorn

Reaction score
I have had this one for a while and is getting more and more confused about what it could be. I hoped that it would flower one of these days, but there is no bud so perhaps the conditions are not right? Then without knowing what it is, how to correct?:confused: Well, here it is, its main attributes is the upright, growth, the purple veining along the leaves keel and the very pointed leaf. If anyone have seen anything similar???? And it is quite sizeable the height is about 20cm (8inch), which also will be the leaf-size.
PS, the pot is 9cm(3.5inch)

image ru

image hosting no registration

My curtisii have rather broad leaves. I suppose this is a species. Where is this plant from? The leaves remind me of appletonianum.

I would suggest to move this thread to the ID section since there are no flower photos.

The plant came from Thailand (e-bay) supposedly sangii, but I have my doubts. I think it is a species too, or possibly a wild hybrid. Might be curtisii, I do not have it so cannot compare, but there are also some similarities to "the real superbiens" which I flowered last summer. That was also supposed to be something else( actually sangii ayubilanum from Popow via Elsner) but turned out to be this superbiens. Below is a comparison with superbiens

free photo hosting
The leaves of this superbium are narrower than the normal superbiens but not as pointed as the unknown. Not as veined with Purple either. Size is similar

upload png

superbiens or maybe dayanum.

Guess time will tell. Sooner or later it will probably decide to bloom. As stated many times here on this forum, leves are too variable to be used to assess species correctly.( perhaps excluding vietnamense?:p) for the time being it serves as a relatively decorative leaf.:D

I have an unbloomed sangii (supposedly...). It has a very similar, upright growth habit and very similar leaves with the same markings, though not as dark as on your plant. It's smaller though and doesn't have that purple rim. I hope it really is a sangii...

Nice healthy looking plant, please update us when it blooms.

I "think ?" that sangii lacks cilia along the basal margins of the leaf, and I can see from the photo that your plant does have them. I'm not sure about the taxonomic reliability of this feature, but my guess would be on appletonianum (including hainanense) or superbiens which are typically sparsely ciliated at the basal margins, ... although it took me a while with a hand lens to find these on my hainanense and they were absent from some of it's leaves. Not very helpful I know, but at least you can rule out volonteanum and other species that have smooth margins.

I will revert as soon as it flowers. Really something different, amongst other things the purple keeels are massive and very pronounced. Never seen that on a paph before?

Back